Used Cars Always Up Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever wonder why? Every car lot looks exactly the same; used cars up front. Are you wondering what a 2018 Subaru Impreza looks like? Well, you're not gonna see it up front!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Used cars bring the bacon.

Yep … go back to that dealers website and see what they are asking for a CPO -vs- what you got in trade …
In my area … cost of used pickup trucks is insane …

I think it also shows the inventory. You expect a Chevy dealer to have all the 2018 Chevy models, but with the used cars upfront it allows them to display the Ford they took in on trade.

In the info I could google in 2015 new car dealers sold almost 17 million new cars. The used car volume was 15 million. Not a lot of spread when looking at those numbers on a national basis. And it is a fact they make more money on used cars-per unit.

I was just offered $23,000.00 for my 2012 GMC Sierra SLT 4WD (36,000 miles) for a trade in for a 2018 Silverado LTZ. Didn't do the deal.

So yes-used truck prices are insane if they offered me $23,000.00.

Last edited:
Car dealers always confuse me.

VW dealer by my house usually has like 20 VW Atlas's out front, often times most of them are the same color. Boring! I want to meet their sales manager, he must have a screw loose.

Or 15 VW Beetles out front. Yawn! Mix it up!

Here's screenshots from Google Streetview, I wasn't kidding. These pictures also don't overlap. 21 of them!

p3br6.png

20rpv1c.png

Originally Posted By: CKN
In the info I could google in 2015 new car dealers sold almost 17 million new cars. The used car volume was 15 million. Not a lot of spread when looking at those numbers on a national basis. And it is a fact they make more money on used cars-per unit.

I was just offered $23,000.00 for my 2012 GMC Sierra SLT 4WD (36,000 miles) for a trade in for a 2018 Silverado LTZ. Didn't do the deal.

I don't know what you're reading, but used car sales in the US was about 42.7 million last year and new car sales were 17.1 million. So about 2.5 times more used cars sold than new cars. I think in the past it was as high a 4x. In 2010, it was about 3x.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183713/value-of-us-passenger-cas-sales-and-leases-since-1990/

Want to see what a particular new car looks like from 50 feet? Look on the internet, on the manufacturer's website, etc..

You won't be able to good a good look at that 2013 Altima parked at the dealership around the corner unless they put it right up front where you can clearly see it.

Also, I used to sell cars. New cars always got us the lowest profit margin and lowest commission. I frequently sold used cars at $3000+ over what the dealership paid for them. Much better profit margin.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: CKN

I don't know what you're reading, but used car sales in the US was about 42.7 million last year and new car sales were 17.1 million. So about 2.5 times more used cars sold than new cars. I think in the past it was as high a 4x. In 2010, it was about 3x.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183713/value-of-us-passenger-cas-sales-and-leases-since-1990/

NEW car dealers sold 15 million used cars. Your figures were all used car sales.

It depends on a lot of factors, some of which have already been mentioned here.

1) Dealerships make more money selling used cars, so it's to their advantage to bring as much attention to their used inventory as possible.

2) New car dealerships use their used inventory to separate themselves from other dealerships of the same brand. Take Honda for example. Honda dealerships don't get to choose what models and colors they get, instead they just get what Honda allots them. Dealers can send a request for more of a certain model or color to their regional rep, but nothing is guaranteed. So, it's not uncommon to see General Managers try pick up one or two gaudy, over-the-top used cars at auction so that they can put it out front and let it garner attention. Our GM loved to scoop up Plum Crazy Challengers and Velocity Yellow Corvettes whenever he saw one, and it really worked quite well.

3) It does highlight how extensive your inventory is. As someone else said above, everyone expects a Chevy dealership to have new Chevy cars and trucks, but many times customers come onto the lot because of what they saw in your used inventory, whether it's online or just passing by.

4) The way dealerships purchase new cars is different from how they purchase used cars. Many dealerships new cars on floor planned, meaning that they purchased the cars on credit and pay monthly payments. While it does mean that a dealership has to pay interest on their cars, it is advantageous to do it this way because it minimizes the investment dealerships have in the cars. They really can't do that with used cars though, which means that most of their used cars they purchased upfront with cash. Like any business, dealerships need cash to operate so it behooves them to move their used cars as quickly as possible in order to get that cash back. In fact, a lot of times dealerships put limits on how long they will keep used cars on the lot before sending it back to auction to try to recoup their money. My dealership was 60 days. After 60 days, we took the car off the lot, cleaned it up, and put it back on the truck and sent it to auction. It also never failed that the day after we sent a car back, we would have a customer come in wanting to buy it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
CKN said:

Interesting- it would make sense if I was looking at mid-year sales. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
A new car brand franchise adds a lot of prestige to what is basically a slimy used car dealership. Customers assume that the 2013 Altima they buy from Giant VW is going to work out better than the Altima they get from Joes Buy-Here-Pay-Here.

The Ford dealer here parks its super duty F350s facing traffic. They look nice. They also get blasted with snow and sand.
lol.gif

Edit, not so much any more, but look how close their lot is to the elements! You should see the snow banks wrecking their stock in winter.

I was also told they put the used different brands out front to tout and show off what was traded in for new. Guy shopping for a new truck sees f150s, silverados, etc, on the toyota lot and the toyota sales guy gets to point out the other brands were traded for toyotas. Just what i was told from multiple dealerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back