MOBIL I 5W30 SYN - New (Unused) Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to attached copy results from WearCheck USA Used Oil Analysis report. I could not copy as report looks but results are as follows for your comparison.
MOBIL I 5W30 SYN - New (Unused) Oil
Date : Jun 27, 2002

RECOMMENDATION

This is a baseline read-out on the submitted sample.

CONTAMINATION

Silicon 6.0 ---
Potassium 0.0 ---
Water (%)
OIL CONDITION

Oil Type: SAE 5W30
The viscosity index is 177.

Boron 220
Barium 0.0
Calcium 2918
Magnesium 14
Molybdenum 82
Sodium 9.8
Phosphorus 859
Sulfur 2374
Zinc 934
Visc@40°C 56.54
Visc@100°C 10.47
Oxidation --- ---
TAN 1.91
TBN 11.0

WEAR

Iron 3.1 ---
Nickel 0.4 ---
Chromium 0.0 ---
Titanium 0.1 ---
Copper 0.0 ---
Aluminum 2.5 ---
Tin 2.8 ---
Lead 0.0 ---
Silver 0.0 ---

VanMan,
Thanks for posting this VOA. Boron looks good and it definitely looks like Mobil is making this oil a tad thicker. The TAN is high as heck though....Molakule says he likes to see this number at .5 or less for virgin oil.
Rick

EDIT: Almost forgot......
welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
-*-*-*-*Molakule says he likes to see this number at .5 or less for virgin oil.
Rick

welcome.gif

The viscosity index is 177 ???

OOOhhhha Baby, Sounds sweet!
I kinda like these numbers... IMO Si should be as well as Moly, be HIGHER.

As far as MoleKule WHY ??????
The ones I use are much higher either the high 1's or mid 2's---------> ????????

What is his reasoning?

I see sulfur numbers like that when I use Wearcheck Canada too. My VOA on GC 0w30 showed a very high number like this too.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
-*-*-*-*Molakule says he likes to see this number at .5 or less for virgin oil.
Rick

welcome.gif

The viscosity index is 177 ???

OOOhhhha Baby, Sounds sweet!
I kinda like these numbers... IMO Si should be as well as Moly, be HIGHER.

As far as MoleKule WHY ??????
The ones I use are much higher either the high 1's or mid 2's---------> ????????

What is his reasoning?

Robbie,
TAN stands for Total Acid Number. This is the very stuff the TBN is trying to fight and keep in check. If you already have a high percentage in virgin oil, then your interval would be shortened by a certain amount.

Rick

The TAN is most likely from the sulfate additives such as the calcium and magnesium sulfonate and the zddp. Even MoDTC contributes some sulfur as well, and these levels are not out of the ordinary.

As long as the TBN maintains it strength, it can fight any acid buildup that may occur.

Magnesium levels are going down in many oils for a number of reasons:

1. It is a major ash contributor
2. A major sulfur contributor
3. Too much magnesium has been shown to cause gelling and sludge initiation.

It's major advantage is that it establishes the primary TBN and it is an excellent detergent.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I see sulfur numbers like that when I use Wearcheck Canada too. My VOA on GC 0w30 showed a very high number like this too.

I just checked your VOA and it was not posted. Will you post it here ?

Sulfur was 3444. I must've left it out since people keep freaking out when they see the sulfur readings which Wearcheck generates (which are normal readings)

Looks like a good oil
smile.gif
im going to keep it in my van for 3,000 miles and do an Oil Analysis. I will let you know of my results. My filter is an Amsoil SDF15.

Looks like a good oil
smile.gif
im going to keep it in my van for 3,000 miles and do an Oil Analysis. I will let you know of my results. My filter is an Amsoil SDF15.

It is, when you look at what they are giving you for $4qt, it's no wonder they own the market.
shocked.gif

I'm sending off a sample tomorrow of 5w-30 SS. They had 5qt jugs on sale at walmart for $19.82. How can you pass that up? I'd like to see what the viscosity is. Walmart moves so much of this stuff that it's probably a very recent batch.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'm sending off a sample tomorrow of 5w-30 SS. They had 5qt jugs on sale at walmart for $19.82. How can you pass that up? I'd like to see what the viscosity is. Walmart moves so much of this stuff that it's probably a very recent batch.

Hopefully! Another possibility is that Walmart got a whole pile of older stock and is selling it off cheaper. I wish oils had a born on date so we could see which ones were the most recent. If I was using Mobil 1 I'd definitely want the absolute latest stuff since they've started using more calcium and boron compared to earlier batches, plus it looks like it's a little bit thicker too.

There is a date code on the back of every quart and gallon of oil sold. If you contact the oil company they should be able to tell you exactly when it was made and where.

Hey, I bought some at target the other night that had a free hat offer on the back of the bottle that expired 7/31/03. (Didn't see that until I was twisting the top) Wonder how long it had been on the shelf?
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JWRENCH:
Hey, I bought some at target the other night that had a free hat offer on the back of the bottle that expired 7/31/03. (Didn't see that until I was twisting the top) Wonder how long it had been on the shelf?
freak2.gif

As much as I really don't care for 'em, I always go to Wal-Mart for oil (as long as they have what I am looking for)...all the ones I've purchased oil at had pretty new stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back