2017 Mustang 5.0 Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Phillips Shield 5W20 Semi Synthetic would do fine. That's what I use in my 5.0 Ford. It has been mentioned here to be very similar to the Ford Motorcraft Oil since it is also made by Conoco Phillips. You can get it by the case for around $2.20 or so a quart from Sam's. Makes it a pretty cheap oil change for something that hold 8 quarts.

The 5.0L Coy engines are notoriously easy on oil. Not the least of which is attributed to the great lube system design, and a giant sump.

Anything that meets the Ford spec (see the manual). You don't need to worry about using a conventional, semi-syn or syn. Just anything that meets the Spec.

There was a UOA on here from several months ago where a member was racing his 5.0L Mustang on weekends. He ran the MC 5w-20. The data was incredibly impressive for such "abusive" use. (Showing that "severe" really does not equate to the damage which fear-mongers attempt to induce).

Just use a decent oil that meets the spec, OCI when the OLM indicates, and worry about something else in life, because that motor will likely outlast the chassis.

Last edited:
When I had my 2012 5.0 I used 20wt for the first change but it used a quart and a half within 5000 miles. I ended up moving to a 30 wt and the consumption reduced significantly and by 12,000 miles or so my consumption was pretty much a non issue. So watch you oil level and put your foot into that thing to get it broken in, and most of all enjoy.
laugh.gif

Nice car...I would get into sooo much trouble with something like that.

I'd go overkill; I'd be running something like Redline 5W-30 and changing it way too soon.

It would also see the track a lot.

I have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 that I bought new. I've used Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter since the beginning. Since It's my fun car and I don't drive it daily, I change oil once a year. Car only has 27,000 miles on it and the least amount of miles I've have done in a year has been about 2,000 and the most about 7,200 miles.

I broke my car in using some pretty hard acceleration runs and then letting it engine brake it self down. I did this several different times. My car hardly uses any oil at all.

This is my first new Ford vehicle and because I've had several issues getting warranty work done on this car, I choose to use Motorcraft parts and the recommended oil viscosity at least until the drivetrain warranty is up in August.

Have fun with the new car, it's a beast.

Wayne

If you do decide to do your own oil changes and maintenance, which I would do, keep all of your receipts, and keep a clean detailed log book. I would also run the receipts through a scanner and back them up on some cloud storage service because receipts fade over time. Don't want them denying you a warranty service because of poor maintenance tracking.

Anyways, I would probably run Pennzoil Platinum with either a fram tough guard or fram ultra but really anything that meets the specs required will work just fine. Especially considering that big 8qt capacity, you might want to run something cheaper than a full synthetic.

Your 5.0 Coyote will drink any kind of oil you wanna put in it. They spec 5W-20 for "Normal" driving, & 5W-50 for "Track" driving. So as you can see, your engine will digest with no problems any oil in between very easy. The 5.0 engines wide viscosity range & 8 quart capacity make it pretty much impossible to fill with the wrong oil. The only thing that might suffer is your MPG with thicker oil if you run it for normal driving. I personally run 5W-30 in mine, 30W oils now are [censored] near thick 20W oils in viscosity.

Originally Posted By: wtd

I broke my car in using some pretty hard acceleration runs and then letting it engine brake it self down. I did this several different times. My car hardly uses any oil at all.

That's exactly what every car manufacturer ever tells you not to do.

Originally Posted By: RemingtonHill

That's how Harley Davidson tells their techs to fix oil consumption & smoking concerns.....burn those rings in....HaHa

Originally Posted By: RemingtonHill

Well, I tried using the manufacturer's recommendation on engine break-in on my 98 Chevrolet truck that I bought new which was to take it easy the first 500 miles and it's used about a quart every 3,000 miles since new. I still own this truck today.

I have read a lot of things about engine break-in since that time and have read many articles that say to break it in like I did on the Mustang. So far I've not seen any negative results from how I broke in the engine. I also have not had any of the oil usage amounts that I've read of other people having with this engine. I guess we shall see.

Wayne

My owners manual for my 06 6.1 specifically states that full throttle operation is beneficial to engine break in.

Me an my BIL took turns after a few easy miles and ran the snot out of it. Upper gears, lots of decal, etc.

It now has 109k miles and has never moved the oil on the dipstick. If you check many 6.1 owners have routine oil consumption.

I am a firm believer in the "break 'em in hard" camp. Low tension rings and modern oils (my car shipped with M1 0W-40) make it tricky.

Plus, if you're going to break it, break it while it's new and the stealership will fix it for you with zero quibbling.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
.....Me an my BIL took turns after a few easy miles and ran the snot out of it. Upper gears, lots of decal, etc.

It now has 109k miles and has never moved the oil on the dipstick. If you check many 6.1 owners have routine oil consumption.

I am a firm believer in the "break 'em in hard" camp. Low tension rings and modern oils (my car shipped with M1 0W-40) make it tricky.

x2, much the same could be said of the Mustang.

Had a 2012 GT Premium with the 5.0. Great car and fabulous engine. Along with the 6.4L Hemi, one of the best performance V-8s ever made IMO. Don't follow the "advice" of those that say run "anything" you want or encourage you to "save" money on oil. Use the Motorcraft filter with s 5W-20 full synthetic that meets the Ford spec. Nothing wrong with Motorcraft oil. I changed out the factory fill at 1,000 miles and then went to 6 month or 5,000 mile OCIs. Do that and the engine will live forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back