DIY Garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've always been told by people who have money to build them, for long term happiness, is you figure out what size building (garage, shed, pole barn, etc.) you THINK you need, and then add at least 50% floor space (ideally, double it). So if you think you need a 2+ car garage, build at least floor space for 3. You can leave the third bay without a door (but framed for one) for a workshop, etc.... if you build exactly what you THINK you need today, you will wish you built it bigger the day after it's done.

As mentioned build as big as you can afford. Height is important, mine has a 10' ceiling and a door which is 8' high and 16' wide. I wouldn't want a door that only opens to 7' especially if you work on a pickup or van sized vehicle. In the case of garages bigger and higher IMO is always better.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've seen really nice prefab ones for good prices and you don't need a slab.

I agreed about prefab, but I'd want a slab.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
make it as big as you can afford. You outgrow them quick.

+1000

The other comment about a loft is an excellent idea as well

When we first moved into our house in ‘95, parked the minivan on the garage. Now? Have to juggle things around just the make room for snow blower when it comes out of the shed.

The amount of [censored] accumulated over the years is mind-blowing

Depends how tall the city will allow you to build it. Cost will depend on alot of factors and choices.

Whatever you build it won't be enough. Zoning and budget will tell you what you can do. Whatever you do try to make it an asset to the property. There are plenty of DIY buildings that would be more valuable torn down.

I had no idea you could buy metal garages that looked like oversized sheds like on the Wayfair link. That's great and exactly what I'm looking for to expand the far too small shed I have. (No garage at my house)

Well went and looked at the property. Pleasantly surprised to see there is a large slab of concrete already poured in the backyard, presumably for a porch foundation. Big enough for one car plus tools.

So I know I can at least work with that slab! Like has been asked/mentioned, if I can proceed with this house, I will then think about what I can start with and what I can add on. I had a double car garage at the last place and was able to make it work. If I can replicate that setup and add an additional shed for garden tools, lawnmower, knick knack stuff, I should be golden.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
If you can do all or most of the work yourself 5K is more of a budget than you need. I built my 20x20 workshop, with some help from my wife for just over 7 grand. That's everything including power, lights, insulation, drywall, workbenches, cabinets and some rental equipment.

Something like that with an additional smaller shed would be awesome! Nice price too

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Well went and looked at the property. Pleasantly surprised to see there is a large slab of concrete already poured in the backyard, presumably for a porch foundation. Big enough for one car plus tools.

So I know I can at least work with that slab! Like has been asked/mentioned, if I can proceed with this house, I will then think about what I can start with and what I can add on. I had a double car garage at the last place and was able to make it work. If I can replicate that setup and add an additional shed for garden tools, lawnmower, knick knack stuff, I should be golden.

What about a building permit to see what your city allows?

Always get the biggest you can and plan for future enhancements like a lift.

When we built our new house on property I built a 60x80 workshop and a 20x40 horse barn. I have plenty of storage for my cars and I run a shop out of it with 2 bays with a lifts and 1 without. Plenty of space overall but I should have went 80x80 or even 100. You just always find you outgrow stuff.

I like the wood ones over the metal ones, but they're so much more expensive. I will be going with one that's 10 X 20, because that's the size of the cement slab next to my garage...

Like everyone else mentioned, build it as big as you can. Also, check local regulations as to what you can and can't build. Just because there's no HOA doesn't mean that the city won't severely limit you. Ideally do this before you purchase the property.

Also, like other have mentioned, if you can swing it, build it tall for an 8' garage door. It's amazing how much larger they feel, plus the taller interior allows more possibilities for a lift.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Look at the metal car ports.

That's what I've been doing since they are quite a bit less expensive than the wood structures, but I don't know how well they hold up in the long run...as good or better than the wood ones?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: CT8
Look at the metal car ports.

That's what I've been doing since they are quite a bit less expensive than the wood structures, but I don't know how well they hold up in the long run...as good or better than the wood ones?

I would think that the wood ones you could repair if it they get bad. Unless they're using artificial wood that's really a plastic and those should last a long while. I've seen old metal ones rusted away, no real way to fix those. That might just be from lack of maintenance though.

I recently bought a house with a small one car garage attached to it. I turned my nose up at the house when I first saw it but then I saw the back yard. Huge... Well, for Long Island anyway.
Next spring, I'll build my 24x30 garage. I plan on heating the floor. Going to start filing the permit immediately after the new year.

Well for now, I am at the mercy of getting whatever I can get. Sucks! But cest la'vie

We are viewing the idea of buying a home in the short term as a "starter" home that we can eventually parlay into a "dream" home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back