Ban Amazon Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
Depending which browser you use. You can block banners and advertisement. I do. Firefox and Chrome are great in that order. I see no ads..........Clear your cookies.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Pajero,

How do you think BITOG will survive without views of advertising banners? This site is very expensive to keep running and wouldn't not exist without advertising revenue.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think we should ban Amazon links.

Wayne obviously doesn't have the time to go around repairing 50 threads per day.

What's the WE part? Did you buy into BITOG?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are you talking about this thread specifically?
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._AB#Post4596112

If so, it is not causing any side scrolling on my end. Possibly you need a better browser?

Or a wider monitor.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
No one is forcing you to click on them.

No but they are forcing me to use the side scroll bar at the bottom of the page which I hate very much.

Of all the things to complain about here. Makes me wonder if BITOG is the only web forum some of you ever go to.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Merkava_4,

Instead of wasting bandwidth with such a complaint, how about you write up a how to, showing users how to use the forum functions to embed a link? We can then make it a sticky.

Well said, like usual.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
How do you think BITOG will survive without views of advertising banners? This site is very expensive to keep running and wouldn't not exist without advertising revenue.

In his (and BITOG's) defence, Wayne, a lot of people use ad blockers, and sites like BITOG are decidedly not the reason they do so. The ads here are relatively unobtrusive. You know how obnoxious some other sites get.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
In his (and BITOG's) defence, Wayne, a lot of people use ad blockers, and sites like BITOG are decidedly not the reason they do so. The ads here are relatively unobtrusive. You know how obnoxious some other sites get.
wink.gif

They used to be until today. It's pretty bad now with the change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: wwillson

wink.gif

Yup. The biggest problem is that even the "reputable" advertising networks can serve malware. Forbes had it happen on their website a while back.

At least one guy agrees with me ....
31.gif
I agreed that thread links that cause/require side scrolling are irritating to read. However, I never started a thread to whine about it, let alone two of them. Until your post, figured it is what it is and never called anyone out. Also never suggested all Amazon links should be 'banned,' which is the specific topic of 'this thread'.

Further as shown multiple times in his thread Amazon links can be posted without causing side scroll. And as linked here, seems some of the links you complain about don't show side scroll. So appears you may have an issue with your monitor.

All that said, you got me this time for generally agreeing with your thread premise about side scrolling. I'll try to not let it happen again.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Further as shown multiple times in his thread Amazon links can be posted without causing side scroll. And as linked here, seems some of the links you complain about don't show side scroll. So appears you may have an issue with your monitor.

Merk has a 30 year old 80 column monitor; give him a break.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Merkava_4,

Instead of wasting bandwidth with such a complaint, how about you write up a how to, showing users how to use the forum functions to embed a link? We can then make it a sticky.

Wish granted! Please re-check for grammar police:
BITOG How to Insert links tutorial

Wayne obviously doesn't have the time to go around repairing 50 threads per day.

-63.5k users
-one full-time job
-speed of forum
-indexing of pages
-indexing of inactive pages
-links to sponsors of forum
-backup the forum
-keep the spammers out
-many stuff not visible to the public.................................................................
-more than 10 years of work.... VOLUNTEERED!

Merk, You think you can do better?

The real source of the decline of the BITOG forums is the General and Off Topic Section. It just attracts screwballs and screwball questions and comments, to the overall detriment of the overall BITOG forum and ithe reputation it once held as the go to place for accurste information.

If it were up to me the General and Off Topic Section would go away. You’d lose some members but not any productive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back