3" vs 4" casters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm making a stand for my drill press. My intention is to have it on casters. Kreg and others sell total lock 3" casters for their universal stands and router tables. Ive seen the same total lock casters for roughly the same price on Amazon for a 4" version.

Id think the bigger caster would turn and roll better, but obviously there's a reason why manufacturers like Kreg use 3".

Would going bigger be prudent? Height is not an issue for me.

Something like this:

SCC-TSTTL20S314-PPUB-121315-M-2.jpg

The larger the diameter, the easier they swivel and roll over debris. I wouldn't go smaller than a shopping cart caster; whatever size that is.

How rough is your floor, how clean do you keep it, how far do you move your drill press? 4" would obviously roll a bit better but you may not need it, but then again why not if the same price.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
but obviously there's a reason why manufacturers like Kreg use 3".

The 3" casters are cheaper than the 4" casters.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
How rough is your floor, how clean do you keep it, how far do you move your drill press? 4" would obviously roll a bit better but you may not need it, but then again why not if the same price.

This.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

The price is within 50c/caster. Poured concrete floor, kept vacuumed at all times. There are a few minor cracks in the near 100yo floor, but no lips or irregularities.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The price is within 50c/caster. Poured concrete floor, kept vacuumed at all times. There are a few minor cracks in the near 100yo floor, but no lips or irregularities.

Get the red ones, always red if given a choice. Unless you're a Kreg guy then you have to get the blue ones.
thumbsup2.gif
Seriously, you'd be good with either.

Potentially they don't really want it to be a "mobile" drill press and are hobbling you.

Years ago I put my drill press, hydraulic press (12 ton), band saw, and something else I can't think of right now, on furniture dollies. They are cheap when on sale at HF and they work great. May have to modify a little to make everything fit level, but they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back