Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Former GE CEO Jeff Immelt would regularly have a spare jet follow him around so he wouldn't get delayed if there were any mechanical issues with the primary plane. At least that was his explanation. Here's a link to the article but you have to subcribe for the full story. These jets run about $6500/hour to fly each. This went on for years and the plane would fly around empty.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-board-was-kept-in-the-dark-about-ceos-extra-plane-1509274805

Yep, very silly to have empty private jet to tag along....
smirk.gif

I know he is very busy and has important meetings to attend but that was ridiculous.

Yeap, they are living it up,

I am want to get into some bond now,
Is this a good idea? what should I look into? etfs? mutual funds?
How about cost of transaction and ownership?

I am all cash now,

So, what will the effect be of Peltz getting a seat on the board at P&G?

I just opened a small CMA at Merrill Edge and I'm playing with some self-directed investing...free trades for 60 days so I put some money there I can afford to lose and I'm playing with it, seeing how all of this works. Everything else I have is in mutual funds or cash.

It's almost getting impossible to find good setups to put new money to work since the market is so dang strong. I like to put money in on pullbacks (duh), but they're not happening on the indexes so I guess it's chase time. The healthcare ETFs are set up nice (pulled back into moving averages, IHS, breakout) so I put some in there.

I still surmise that we're in the 2nd or 3rd inning of the most historical melt up in history. Then it will crash/correct hard in a few years.
21.gif
Still a lot of money parked in bonds/balanced funds, and when rates start rising and people see their getting eaten alive, they'll chase stocks even more. Dangerous long term, but you gotta play the hand that's dealt you.

I have 5 reits right now and they are jumpy. I've added to 4 and and still have a nice pot of cash. I get monthly divs on all 5, but don't want to put more cash in right now. Looking for that just right stock.
grin2.gif

coffee2.gif

Have you seen AMZN?

I had 40 shares@$590 back in Apr. last year and took my profits in May. Yikes!!

The Dow 30 has broken out of the trend channel encompassing the run up since the 2009 bottom. The next long term trend channel resistance is around 30,000, which is the top trendline that basically encompasses the entire stock market's history! I say Dow 30,000 is going to be here before most people know it. No pullback, crash, correction in sight. Pandemonium. Are Uber drivers talking about stocks yet???
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcride
The markets will correct within a year or 2. My feeling is 25 to 30% downturn.

Well, since the S&P went up almost 25% in the last year, that's not a problem at all. Just one year's worth of gains.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The Dow 30 has broken out of the trend channel encompassing the run up since the 2009 bottom. The next long term trend channel resistance is around 30,000, which is the top trendline that basically encompasses the entire stock market's history! I say Dow 30,000 is going to be here before most people know it. No pullback, crash, correction in sight. Pandemonium. Are Uber drivers talking about stocks yet???
lol.gif

I do agree it has more to go.

Slow increase in interest rates, low unemployment, good corporate earnings, a business friendly president and Janet gone....

Are Uber drivers talking about stocks yet???
lol.gif

Well the shoe shine boys aren't around anymore so I'd guess you have to use Walmart workers or fast food workers. However stock market participation is at record lows so the market may have a while to go. Many articles on how the strong market has passed most low and middle income people by as most don't have anything invested.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
lol.gif

Well the shoe shine boys aren't around anymore so I'd guess you have to use Walmart workers or fast food workers. However stock market participation is at record lows so the market may have a while to go. Many articles on how the strong market has passed most low and middle income people by as most don't have anything invested.

Why do you say that ?

Middle class folks with a 401K are in the stock market, not 100% stocks but definitely some of their portfolio is invested in stock index funds or target date funds.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
lol.gif

Why do you say that ?

Middle class folks with a 401K are in the stock market, not 100% stocks but definitely some of their portfolio is invested in stock index funds or target date funds.

I guess the record low was last year, it's up about 2% from last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/08/investing/stock-ownership-dow-record-trump/index.html

http://news.gallup.com/poll/1711/stock-market.aspx

Americans don't have money to buy stocks ???
21.gif

They sure have money to buy fancy cellphones, fancy clothes and jewelry, drive fancy cars, cable TV with 250 channels, kids wearing expensive sneakers, going out to eat at restaurants, Starbucks on a regular basis, vacations, .....etc.....

Americans don't have money to buy stocks ???
21.gif

They sure have money to buy fancy cellphones, fancy clothes and jewelry, drive fancy cars, cable TV with 250 channels, kids wearing expensive sneakers, going out to eat at restaurants, Starbucks on a regular basis, vacations, .....etc.....

Did you read the article? They may just be gun shy due to the 2009 crash. It's down but heading up again. Plus maybe they spent the money instead of investing it in the market.

Wolf,

I disagree.

Disagree with what? The facts? That's not the only article that mentions that. It's been mentioned several times that the participation of the American public in the stock market is at a low rate. If you have data that says otherwise, feel free to post it.

The fact that Americans do indeed have money to foolishly waste on [censored] but then complain they have no money to invest for their future.

Wolf, you didn't become very wealthy by 'being the average American' and foolish with your money.

The fact that Americans do indeed have money to foolishly waste on [censored] but then complain they have no money to invest for their future.

Wolf, you didn't become very wealthy by 'being the average American' and foolish with your money.

Oh, I wasn't disputing that. Doesn't matter why they don't put it in the market. Just saying that they don't put it in the market like they used to in the past. Those were the facts I was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back