Do you know how large Moose can get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's feed they were referring to. The other measurements are the antlers which is a common measurement for trophy.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The only real size reference is the width of the road and it's natural to assume it's at least 8-10 feet wide.
Maybe it's only a 4' path and that throws us off? Does seem wider to me for some reason...

It could be a smaller path for a ATV, distorting the perception of the moose.
But that would make the trees stupidly small in relation also.

Hence, the gravel lane is probably AT LEAST 10' wide.
Take a piece of paper and mark off the width of the road. Then measure from the foot of the moose to it's shoulder; it's exactly the same distance. 10' wide path = 10' tall at the shoulder. If it's a 12' path, it's a 12' reach to his shoulder.

FAKE PIX!

+1
But in any event, I would not want to run into one of those on the road, that's for sure!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
The only real size reference is the width of the road and it's natural to assume it's at least 8-10 feet wide.
Maybe it's only a 4' path and that throws us off? Does seem wider to me for some reason...

It could be a smaller path for a ATV, distorting the perception of the moose.
But that would make the trees stupidly small in relation also.

Hence, the gravel lane is probably AT LEAST 10' wide.
Take a piece of paper and mark off the width of the road. Then measure from the foot of the moose to it's shoulder; it's exactly the same distance. 10' wide path = 10' tall at the shoulder. If it's a 12' path, it's a 12' reach to his shoulder.

FAKE PIX!

I think you're probably right, but it's possible that could be a pic from just shy of the treeline where the trees get runty.
I always think it's funny to drive high in the Whites where the trees start to look like toys.
I'd still vote for fake, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Someone I know was killed just last week from hitting a moose on the road. The bumper simply trips the moose and now you have a 1000+ pound projectile that will rip everything off from the base of the window to the roof from the windshield to the trunk...like a sardine can. Their coats somewhat absorb headlight which make them even harder to detect at night compounded by highways speeds. To top it off, at certain times of the season they get dumb and aggressive and don't care about anything other than finding a mate, which makes it worse.

I have also heard, and likely others on here can confirm, if true, is that their eyes don't glow in the dark either which also adds to them not being easily seen at night.

I met one on a snowmobile trail many years ago in Madawaska Ont near Algonquin park. I was leading, going down a very narrow trail that saved of us from going into Whitney. As I was winding my way through this rather tight trail, I came across a big one straddling the trail. I stopped, of course, and just looked at it in amazement! I also knew, if he decided to charge, I was eukered as the snow was easily waist deep and I had no way to turn around on this narrow trail, with trees lined on both sides. I knew my buddy was coming behind me and it worried me greatly, due to the noise and the fact there were now 2 of us, which I thought might even spook the moose more!
I sat still on my sled waving my left arm back and forth to warn my buddy as he approached me. I was hoping he would remain quiet and cautious, but that was not the case!
eek.gif
My buddy stood up on his running boards, and yelled, as if I was a mile away, "HOLY SH*T, get a load of that! As the panic set in momentarily, surprisingly, and thankfully, the sound and loudness of my buddies voice scared it into the woods!
thumbsup2.gif
It seemed like the moose only took about 3 or 4 strides but those were enough to get him into the woods about 20 yards. He half hid behind a big tree and just stared at us. We slowly drove away thinking, there's something you don't see everyday, and also thinking we're glad that ended the way it did!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
This is a regular occurrence in some provinces. Some of them even know to wait until they see the walk symbol at intersessions I'm told. Never saw this though...

3024638.jpg

I've seen them in person at a wildlife refuge and they are quite a bit more like this. Also the fur is usually nasty, mangy, shaggy, and clumpy.

They're probably one of those critters that gets all fat in the fall. I did almost hit one about this time of year in the dark rain when it was leaving an apple orchard after eating "grounders" and probably gorging on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back