Online Tire purchase - installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't bought a tire at a local dealer for at least 15 years, probably longer. Buying online lets me get exactly what tire I want and even when I don't go to the recommended installer I save at a minimum $50 overall. I look around at local stores but I never find one that has a total price that's equal or less than buying online and subsequent local installation.

The Firestone near my house and the Walmart both seem pretty willing and happy to do the install. Never had a problem with either one of them, and if I did I'd go somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
In my case it was about $80 or in terms you may understand better all my oil changes for the year for free.

You don't change your oil very often, do you?

Originally Posted By: avacado11
I had firestone auto care mount and balance 4 tires for $87. Didn't trust them with my car so I dropped off the tire/rim and they did it within a few hours.

So.... Let me make sure that I'm understanding this correctly. You're going to jack up your car and place it on jack stands. Then remove all 4 rims and tires. Then you're going to haul around 4 big, filthy tires and rims in your nice other vehicle, to someplace to have them changed out. Then, after all that you're going to haul them back to your place, and crawl around putting them back on. And finally jack the vehicle back up to remove the stands. Then put everything away, and clean yourself up.

And you are going to do all of that, not to mention waste half a day doing it, so you can save a lousy few bucks on a set of tires? If you say so.

I've bought my last 3 sets of tires online. In my case it's saved me an average of $100-$200 on each set when compared to buying the same tires locally from a chain tire store. I have a local small shop that does not sell tires but does mount and balance them. Four for $55. The shop is a one man show (owner and operator). I make an appointment and I'm in and out, no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I had firestone auto care mount and balance 4 tires for $87. Didn't trust them with my car so I dropped off the tire/rim and they did it within a few hours.

So.... Let me make sure that I'm understanding this correctly. You're going to jack up your car and place it on jack stands. Then remove all 4 rims and tires. Then you're going to haul around 4 big, filthy tires and rims in your nice other vehicle, to someplace to have them changed out. Then, after all that you're going to haul them back to your place, and crawl around putting them back on. And finally jack the vehicle back up to remove the stands. Then put everything away, and clean yourself up.

And you are going to do all of that, not to mention waste half a day doing it, so you can save a lousy few bucks on a set of tires? If you say so.

They were a second set of wheels I had(brought rims locally and tires online). I wouldn't be that stupid to leave my car on jack stands just for the sake of saving $50 lmao

Some people can be pretty obtuse.

I order from Tire Rack and they deliver to my installer. I show up with my car, I pay for the installation, and leave with 4 new tires on my car.

What don't you get? I save, on average, $25/tire, and there is ZERO inconvenience.

I need new fronts on my car. I'm not sure when I'll have time to have them installed, so they'll be delivered to my house and I'll load the wheels and new tires into my Volvo and take them on a Saturday. Yes, dirty wheels and tires into my new Volvo. Ever hear of trash bags?

Or I could take time out of my day, go to a tire shop that won't have what I want in stock, wait for them to be in stock, and spend more money and time than I would doing it my way.

I wouldn't be that stupid to leave my car on jack stands just for the sake of saving $50

But you're OK with going through all the nonsense I described, of driving there and back with them. And jacking up the car to put them on yourself? For "saving" all of $12.50 a wheel?

I buy them. Take them to discount tire and have them put on. Big deal. Save $200+ and don't pay the ridiculous 8.75% sales tax around here. I try to get around that any way possible.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I save, on average, $25/tire, and there is ZERO inconvenience.

I need new fronts on my car. I'm not sure when I'll have time to have them installed, so they'll be delivered to my house and I'll load the wheels and new tires into my Volvo and take them on a Saturday. Yes, dirty wheels and tires into my new Volvo. Ever hear of trash bags?

Come on. It's starting to get pretty deep now. I like to save money as much as the next guy. But I'm not going to get my clothes and car filthy, screwing around trying to put heavy, dirty tires and wheels into trash bags. Then wrestle around trying to put them into the nice, new leather interior of my $50K SUV. And haul them to a tire place. All in some silly attempt to try and save a few lousy bucks on some tires I'm going to need once every 50,000 miles. Common sense has to kick in at some point.

Come on. It's starting to get pretty deep now. I like to save money as much as the next guy. But I'm not going to get my clothes and car filthy, screwing around trying to put heavy, dirty tires and wheels into trash bags. Then wrestle around trying to put them into the nice, new leather interior of my $50K SUV. And haul them to a tire place. All in some silly attempt to try and save a few lousy bucks on some tires I'm going to need once every 50,000 miles. Common sense has to kick in at some point.

It's not about saving money for me, it's about having exactly the tires I want exactly when I want them and having them installed by exactly who I want to install them. And yes, I have no quarrels with using my utility vehicle as such. It has had wheels and tires in the back on more that one occasion.

I suppose it would blow your mind to know that I instructed the shop that installed new wheels and tires on my Phaeton put the old wheels into bags and on my rear seat. On my Poltrona Frau leather! The horror!

I've also got to ask: why are your wheels and tires "filthy?" I generally keep my car clean, and wheels and tires are a part of that.

At the end of the day, it saves me time and money to do things the way I do them. When the Volvo needs new tires next year, I'll pop the four new ones into the back and take them to the service department. Heck, I may just have the tires shipped directly to them! And I'll save a few bucks doing it doing things the way I want to do them.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
In my case it was about $80 or in terms you may understand better all my oil changes for the year for free.

You don't change your oil very often, do you?

My oil changes are more frequent than 8o% of the people on BITOG but most changes since I do them myself and buy oil on sale and take advantage of rebates run under $25 for oil (Full Synthetic) and filter.

Last edited:
It's not about saving money for me, it's about having exactly the tires I want exactly when I want them and having them installed by exactly who I want to install them.

That part I can understand. But you don't have to turn your interior into a junk yard to accomplish that.

I've also got to ask: why are your wheels and tires "filthy?" I generally keep my car clean, and wheels and tires are a part of that.

Yeah right. And I'm sure you crawl under and wash the reverse side as part of your normal wash routine.

Yeah right. And I'm sure you crawl under and wash the reverse side as part of your normal wash routine.

Here are pics of his wheels and seats since you brought it up.
smile.gif

It's not about saving money for me, it's about having exactly the tires I want exactly when I want them and having them installed by exactly who I want to install them.

That part I can understand. But you don't have to turn your interior into a junk yard to accomplish that.

Clearly, I haven't.

Actually no, I don't have to crawl underneath. That's what the Wheel Woolies are for.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back