Absolute deliciousness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I love crockpot cooking! Heck you can put an old shoe in a crockpot and it would tast good! ..lol

I use mine all winter and make some outstanding meals.

Coincidentally, I have a batch of stuffed peppers cooking in my crock pot right now. They'll be done in an hour. I experimented a couple of months ago using the Bob Evans slow cooker meatloaf recipe as the filling and poblanos instead of bell peppers. It worked out quite well.

Originally Posted By: ET16
K raut is good for you (probiotics).

It sure is. Once it's cooked in the crock pot they're all pretty much dead. But, cabbage dishes are still nutritionally sound. Now I'm going to have to use my crock pot for this, too. I made my first batch of crock pot chili recently (have always used the stove top). It was excellent. "Low and slow" works for a lot of things.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
No picture of a beer to go with it?

Nope, haven't had a beer in 5 days; trying to lose more weight
smile.gif

As good as this looks it probably isn't the best thing to be eating to lose weight?

Always thought it was spelled sauerkraut.

It is but room temperature / cold fermenting your own SK is much better for you probiotic wise.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
No picture of a beer to go with it?

Nope, haven't had a beer in 5 days; trying to lose more weight
smile.gif

With kielbasa, huh? Tell me more about your diet plan - I need details!
35.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Forget about that it don't work. I haven't had a drink in 3 years and I'm still fat.,,,,

I actually laughed out loud!

Let's put it all together now -K.R.A.U.T., sauerkraut.
11.gif

Forget I posted this. SMH

My response to you was serious, albeit silly. If you're on a diet that allows kielbasa, I wanna know all about it! Unless that was just a tease and this is just a cheat-night delight.

I'm watching what I eat. Kielbasa I'd say is good, as is sour crout. I haven't had this in a while so I decided to make it Friday night.

I have just been watching what I eat, so no bread, hardly any beer and no canned foods.

I misread your statement so I apologize gathermewool
smile.gif

In the kielbasa, cabbage and potato dish mentioned above I have one question:

Would you press the liquid out, leave it soaking wet or somewhere in the middle?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

It is but room temperature / cold fermenting your own SK is much better for you probiotic wise.
smile.gif

Stevie, I've tried making my own a couple of times but it just seems to ferment too slowly. I suspect it could be due to the fact that most produce is washed with a mild chlorine solution for safety reasons and the residue could be inhibiting bacterial growth. What method do you use? I'm thinking of trying again except with organic cabbage, though, I don't know if the chlorine wash step is eliminated or not. Perhaps I need to see if there are any starter cultures out there.

I think the recipe I last tried had too much salt. That would surely slow down fermentation. I'm going to try again!

I'm watching what I eat. Kielbasa I'd say is good, as is sour crout. I haven't had this in a while so I decided to make it Friday night.

I have just been watching what I eat, so no bread, hardly any beer and no canned foods.

smile.gif

Do you put any condiments on it, like a mustard? I like the taste of just kielbasa and sauerkraut [edit: apparently crout, spelled correctly, is censored...], but adding some spicy horseradish mustard can be very tasty.

I've cut out beer recently, too. I don't drink light beer, so I'm sure I just cut out 1000+ calories per week! I drink for the taste, so drinking the stuff my dad drinks, Miller 64 or Michelob Ultra (or something like that), seems akin to drinking beer-flavored seltzer water.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

smile.gif

Do you put any condiments on it, like a mustard? I like the taste of just kielbasa and sauerkraut [edit: apparently crout, spelled correctly, is censored...], but adding some spicy horseradish mustard can be very tasty.

I've cut out beer recently, too. I don't drink light beer, so I'm sure I just cut out 1000+ calories per week! I drink for the taste, so drinking the stuff my dad drinks, Miller 64 or Michelob Ultra (or something like that), seems akin to drinking beer-flavored seltzer water.

No condiments on it

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My family has a similar traditional German dish that my mom passed down to me and I enjoyed growing up: Boiled bratwurst sausage spaced roughly 1" apart in a rectangular casserole dish covered with sauerkraut and then buried in mashed potato. This is topped with a solid sprinkling of parmesan cheese and baked in the oven until the cheese is golden brown.

Ok, that sounds wonderful being half German myself. The other half is Irish. So you kind of layer it in the dish? Bratwwurst, topped with [censored], then mashed potatos, cheese etc. Sounds like a good winter dish washed down with some Oktoberfest or some Christmas Ale.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My family has a similar traditional German dish that my mom passed down to me and I enjoyed growing up: Boiled bratwurst sausage spaced roughly 1" apart in a rectangular casserole dish covered with sauerkraut and then buried in mashed potato. This is topped with a solid sprinkling of parmesan cheese and baked in the oven until the cheese is golden brown.

Ok, that sounds wonderful being half German myself. The other half is Irish. So you kind of layer it in the dish? Bratwwurst, topped with [censored], then mashed potatos, cheese etc. Sounds like a good winter dish washed down with some Oktoberfest or some Christmas Ale.

Yup, that's exactly right. And it goes spectacularly well with a nice 'fest beer
grin.gif

I enjoyed some of this last night as co worker I did oil change(10’ accord) his wife made this. Had a nice RED CHIMAY with it and he gave me a 64 oz of CHIMAY GOLD LABEL for
Future. Maybe Christmas time ill try this one
smile.gif

I enjoyed some of this last night as co worker I did oil change(10’ accord) his wife made this. Had a nice RED CHIMAY with it and he gave me a 64 oz of CHIMAY GOLD LABEL for
smile.gif

There is ONE thing I miss about my college years (mid 1980s). Chimay red was $2.25 per 750 ml bottle.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
smile.gif

There is ONE thing I miss about my college years (mid 1980s). Chimay red was $2.25 per 750 ml bottle.

I can get a 64 oz bottle of any CHIMAY at total wine and more in NC for like $12~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back