Home made Sour cream

For those who make homemade dairy products. We were out of milk last week and my wife made yogurt with heavy whipping cream. It turned into a substance very close to sour cream. In case anyone wants to repeat that experiment.

If you let heavy cream go sour you get smetana. Sour cream is made with a heat treatment and the addition of Lactococcus cremoris. Almost all American sour cream is actually more like smetana rather than proper sour cream. Proper sour cream is runnier, more like kefir, with a higher fat content and more sour than the spreadable and milder American product. Crème fraîche and Mexican cream are similar to smetana. I fully endorse culinary lab experimentation.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="I Greek yogurt is a good healthier alternative too
[/QUOTE]
Well, sour cream is used sparingly. Strained yogurt can't really substitute sour cream because it's only a little tart but not sour but it is excellent for making salad dressings, desserts, and European-style cheesecake.

Well, sour cream is used sparingly. Strained yogurt can't really substitute sour cream because it's only a little tart but not sour but it is excellent for making salad dressings, desserts, and European-style cheesecake.

It’s not a direct replacement no but an alternative like I said. ;)

If you let heavy cream go sour you get smetana. Sour cream is made with a heat treatment and the addition of Lactococcus cremoris. Almost all American sour cream is actually more like smetana rather than proper sour cream. Proper sour cream is runnier, more like kefir, with a higher fat content and more sour than the spreadable and milder American product. Crème fraîche and Mexican cream are similar to smetana. I fully endorse culinary lab experimentation.
Well, that’s a lot of words I have never heard before in reference to sour cream.

Back