23andme Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurance companies have a strong interest in keeping profits high, nothing else. If they can find a justification for a higher premium you better believe they will take advantage of it.

I don't have much interest in my heritage, as it does nothing to define who I am. I would only consider this if I was absolutely certain I could keep my identity a secret from the testing company. The other downside in my mind as this stuff can unearth family secrets that are better left alone, such as a secret adoption, and can rip families apart. But to each his own.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
We have a privacy commissioner that is independent of the government to keep health care and other information out of nefarious hands. If you don't know what you are talking then just don't.

All well and good that you trust ANYONE with your privacy.

But again did you miss my comment on using a fake email and name?

And really the days of "privacy" are over in case you missed that.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I would only consider this if I was absolutely certain I could keep my identity a secret from the testing company. The other downside in my mind as this stuff can unearth family secrets that are better left alone, such as a secret adoption, and can rip families apart. But to each his own.

Again..fake email and fake name????????????
But genealogy isn't for everyone..I understand that.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Until they jack premiums because they think you are higher risk on something that may not happen but that is only likely to happen.

Well in theory that can't happen in the US now because they can't charge extra for pre-existing conditions as that was part of Obamacare. However if they get rid of it, things could change in the future.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Until they jack premiums because they think you are higher risk on something that may not happen but that is only likely to happen.

Well in theory that can't happen in the US now because they can't charge extra for pre-existing conditions as that was part of Obamacare. However if they get rid of it, things could change in the future.

There is still HIPAA which makes it illegal.
And BTW it would also make it illegal for 23andme to share health information of ANY TYPE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

There is still HIPAA which makes it illegal.
And BTW it would also make it illegal for 23andme to share health information of ANY TYPE

I could be wrong because I've never done this, but second hand info I heard was that HIPPA rights are waived in the user agreement. Again, just what I heard, I could be wrong. As long as one keeps all personal identifying information disguised, I guess if it interests someone, that's cool. It isn't for me, that's all, because it seems irrelevant to me. Anything I would learn wouldn't change who I am

worrying about privacy these days is plain silly.

Oz is about to get a facial recognition database, and it's being populated with "freely given" driver's licence photos.

As to DNA, the heel [censored] cards are all on file, and will eventually be used for a DNA database, as soon as the right "trigger" is reached. There's been a couple of heinous crimes that have had them whispering about getting access to them.

The USA also has an extensive facial recognition database. I have no concern about this as I don't plan on committing any crimes. Medical information is different.

What are "heel cards?"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman
What are "heel cards?"

Every Aussie kid has a heel [censored] test, where they [censored] the heels of their feet, and take a blood sample on a piece of cardboard.

Ostensibly to test for things like Cystic Fibrosis (which is a bit of a laugh, as even that is often found later)....all of the cards are kept "just in case" they need to be tested for soemthing else.

(Although looking at it in Western Australia Police used it without consent, and the hospital burned them all thereafter...that state passed legislation that you could get the card back after two years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back