'17 Sonata 2.4L OManual - what's your takeaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. CAFE aside,why do Honda and Toyota recommend 0w-20? Are the Hyundai motors built with looser tolerances?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: wemay

That "higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather" never bothered me before. It does now.
Why exactly does it bother you?

That i was stubborn and just used what was on the Sonata's filler cap without giving the "hot weather" verbiage much thought. It's been in the 90's steadily since May, with a few 100s thrown in. Not to mention the cars thermometer reading slightly higher. Again, not that i think 5w20 will not suffice but i'm more comfortable going with the alternative recommendation. Other folks may not be and that's fine too.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

For the Turbo, I will try Mobil1 HM 10w30 becuase of its HT/HS of 3.5 and ACEA A3 rating. After that, if i go 5w30, it will have to have Dex1Gen2 approval.

Interesting choice!
I ran M1 5W30 ESP with a 3.58 HTHS for a handful of changes, no problems with it other than being pricey and only available in liter bottles in the US. Starting TBN was low, but I didn't worry much about that with 5kmile change intervals.
I'm planning to stick with Gen 2 oils until GF5+/6 go live, had thoughts about running 10W30 for the warmer months in the past but those are probably on the back burner now unless there happen to be any Gen 2 oils in that grade.

Luckily enough it was $22.xx at Walmart like most of the Mobil rollback still is. I returned the 4 jugs i had left of the clearance AAP QSUD 5w30 Dexos1 first generation oil to get two jugs of the Mobil1 HM. Probably overthinking things but i'm happy now.

My Hyundai Santa Fe from 2006 had the same chart in the owners manual. It said 5w20 on the oil cap and I always used 5w30 because I didn't feel that a 20wt in that engine was a good thing considering my engine was operated like a fleet vehicle.

It made it to 300K Miles (535,000km) before the camshaft went bad.

That's a good example for you.
thumbsup2.gif

...and for arguments sake, this is what's in the 2013 Santa Fe Sport Owner's Manual. I have the 2.0T

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Hyundai Santa Fe from 2006 had the same chart in the owners manual. It said 5w20 on the oil cap and I always used 5w30 because I didn't feel that a 20wt in that engine was a good thing considering my engine was operated like a fleet vehicle.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, very much so. Thanks

My daughters 2008 Elantra also allows great choice in the owners manual ie: 5w20, 5w30, 10w30...and even SJ and SL.
I used 5w20 until it hit 100K and now use 5w30....can't feel a bit of difference....

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: knerml
What not stick with 5W30 for both Hyundai's, given your warm climate.

In Florida I'd be running 10W-30 in both of them and it would be full synthetic.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

thumbsup2.gif

And if you ran 5w20, what do you think would of happened? I think the same thing would of occured at about the same mileage. I dont think it proves anything. Obviously turbos have a habit of breaking down oil more than a naturally aspirated thus the recommendation for the slightly thicker 5w30.

I know it was a completely different 2.4l in my 2000 Sonata, but it absolutely drank the 5w30 the cap called for. I ran 10w30 year round in it, and even then it used roughly a 1qt/1000mi.

but other than "drinking" oil, it was rock solid no major problems/unusual maintenance in the 8 years/~80k miles i had it.
(bought July '01, with 16k mi, sold Feb '10 with about 105k mi)

The verbiage in both of these temp/visc charts looks like a little tap dancing on Hyundai's part.
My takeaway is that all of these engines had their EPA emissions cycle testing done using a 5W-20.
The fuel economy numbers are derived from the emissions cycle.
Hyundai then notes that a higher viscosity grade might be required for warm ambients, which leads me to believe that Hyundai really wants a thirty grade used in these engines.
In Florida, I'd have no hesitation in using a 10W-30 synthetic all of the time and might use a 5W-30 all of the time here in Ohio.

So today (preparing for the baby's arrival soon) i was cleaning some storage places in the house to take stuff to GoodWill. In one of these locations i found more VSP 5W-20 from my time with the Veloster and earlier Sonata. Oh well, i'm not gonna stress it. If it worked like a dream for them, it will for this Sonata too. No harm no foul.
crazy2.gif
slapping forehead
21.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So much for that Pennzoil blend 5W-30 experiment. Maybe I'll run it now.
grin2.gif

Yup...the specs for the Gold still make it interesting.

Yup...the specs for the Gold still make it interesting.

Yup...and you can't buy oil if you already have oil...that would be immoral.
grin2.gif

Without a receipt, Walmart allowed me to return the VSP $25/jug for a gift card. Kudos to their Customer Service. I replaced with a couple jugs of GTX Magnatec (5W-20)$20/jug and pampers.

Sorry Merk', you were right.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back