2013 Honda Accord 2.4L EU oil recommendations

EEE

Does anyone have the oil recommendations for a 4 cyl. 2.4L Honda engine (2013) for EU? Looking for owners manual recommendations. Seen some say ow20 up to 10w30, but not 100% sure of the source.

If you want the factory recommendation, look in the owner's manual or maybe under the hood. That may vary by country. The engine will run forever on any brand 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30. For that year, probably synthetic only, but you would probably do no harm with a blend. Someone else said that for this engine "Any oil is the right oil." Stateside, on a 2005 model, I run 0W20 in Castrol GTX, or Quaker State Full Syn, or Mobil 1.

Reactions: hrv
Honda’s will operate on any oil. If you don’t have an owners manual, you can google one and you don’t even have to download it. I do this all the time when looking for information on family/friends vehicles that aren’t in my possession at the moment.

Use an oil grade for your the climate that your car will be operating under for that particular oil change without concerning about those several days where the temperatures change(up/down) for a bit.

You can’t go wrong when following the owners manual.

Thanks. Just trying to see what the factory recommendation is in EU vs US.

I think you can find EU owner’s manuals on the Honda website. Even if you don’t it doesn’t matter, the vehicle will run on any grade as long as the winter rating is appropriate for your location.

Does anyone have the oil recommendations for a 4 cyl. 2.4L Honda engine (2013) for EU? Looking for owners manual recommendations. Seen some say ow20 up to 10w30, but not 100% sure of the source.
Thick 20w or thin 30w based on your climate.

You need to look up what Honda says for your country. There's what, 25+ countries in the EU, with quite differing climates.
Other than the winter rating, the EU grade recommendations have almost nothing to do with the climate. Same for the US where one grade is recommended from Death Valley to northern Wyoming. It has everything to do with politics, not climate. The United States has a similar differing climate to Europe.

Other than the winter rating, the EU grade recommendations have almost nothing to do with the climate. Same for the US where one grade is recommended from Death Valley to northern Wyoming. It has everything to do with politics, not climate. The United States has a similar differing climate to Europe.
The first part of your statement is true. Generally speaking, a running engine in good shape maintains it's health and operating temperature regardless of climate. With regard to viscosity being a matter of politics, maybe a little where some regulators push for lower viscosities to deliver a smidgen more fuel efficiency, depending on country, but for the most part, we are dealing with a highly-technical, engineered product, that needs to protect and lubricate engines under many conditions. That's not politics.

The first part of your statement is true. Generally speaking, a running engine in good shape maintains its health and operating temperature regardless of climate. With regard to viscosity being a matter of politics, maybe a little where some regulators push for lower viscosities to deliver a smidgen more fuel efficiency, depending on country, but for the most part, we are dealing with a highly-technical, engineered product, that needs to protect and lubricate engines under many conditions. That's not politics.
The grade recommendations are definitely politics.

5w-30. That's what I run in my 2.4K series Honda.

The fact that the same engine is spec'd for a different oil in a different location is quite telling of politics.

5w-30. That's what I run in my 2.4K series Honda.

The fact that the same engine is spec'd for a different oil in a different location is quite telling of politics.
how many miles on your engine?

My Civic has 260k (2010). Accord has 123k (2013). Nothing like a car with high miles on it. Hoping for 400k on the Civic.
Unfortunately this one will succumb to rust long before anything actually wears out. It's my wife's CR-V and it's slated to be sold this summer. We have been looking for a decently priced used vehicle....but that is pure fantasy these days.

Highest mileage vehicle I've even owned was an '82 VW Jetta with 320,000 miles, but that too rusted to the point I couldn't justify any more bondo and rivets.

Miss those old beaters. Had several VWs Noth of 300k

Unfortunately this one will succumb to rust long before anything actually wears out. It's my wife's CR-V and it's slated to be sold this summer. We have been looking for a decently priced used vehicle....but that is pure fantasy these days.

Highest mileage vehicle I've even owned was an '82 VW Jetta with 320,000 miles, but that too rusted to the point I couldn't justify any more bondo and rivets.

Miss those old beaters. Had several VWs Noth of 300k
We are done with Honda. Don't like the turbo on everything. Toyota is going to be the next car. Hybrid Rav4 maybe. But they are starting to move to turbos too. The Civic has absolutely no rust. That can go 400k, not sure if we will take it there though. At least 300k. The Accord will rust out before significant miles. Don't mind. Don't like it anyway. Honda isn't what it was even 13 years ago. Too many issues with my Accord. But, for the oil, I think I will go with the 30 weight. Burns oil. Redline oil helped alot. Now its $65 for 4qt. I think the only thing different about it is that its on the thicker side for the 20 weight. So, will try 0w30 and see if that helps.

We are done with Honda. Don't like the turbo on everything. Toyota is going to be the next car. Hybrid Rav4 maybe. But they are starting to move to turbos too. The Civic has absolutely no rust. That can go 400k, not sure if we will take it there though. At least 300k. The Accord will rust out before significant miles. Don't mind. Don't like it anyway. Honda isn't what it was even 13 years ago. Too many issues with my Accord. But, for the oil, I think I will go with the 30 weight. Burns oil. Redline oil helped alot. Now its $65 for 4qt. I think the only thing different about it is that its on the thicker side for the 20 weight. So, will try 0w30 and see if that helps.
I too refuse to own anything gasoline with a turbo. I had a 1.8t VW and tuned it etc. Great fun, but not for the average Joe with turbo cool downs and cooking oil.

For the grocery getter, a NA decent displacement will get better mileage anyway. CAFE is killing the ICE and pushing us toward electric.....as a master electrician as well as an ASE master mechanic....electric vehicles have significant flaws for the masses.

Back