Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
TS Eliot's final stanza...

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

....will be quoted when Tesla dies.

Musk has completed his intended business and now it's time to exit stage left. Winston Churchill often said a great man can not be a good man. He well could have been speaking of Elon Musk and Tesla.

My hat is off for your poetic vision of the era. Have we had an era before when one could enrich her/himself without making a profit like Bezos and Musk and quite a few others? If you convert money into power and power into money, the answer is Yes! From Babylon to GUALG and Auschwitz it has been done many a time. Elon is far more humane and fancies himself as Howard Hughes of Latter Days...

Henry Ford really made a revolution, if you look at annual production numbers dynamic. And he made cars that his workers could afford. And he made profit doing that.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Most common trait of millionaires: They buy and drive used cars.

Some do - one of the Ikea CEOs in the past drove an old Volvo 240, rumor had it that Warren Buffett drives an older Lincoln Continental or Town Car and S. Cathy Truett who founded Chick-Fil-A drove a Taurus that was built at Ford's old Atlanta plant that was next to his first restaurant.

I like what Tesla's doing, but they will see competition soon. The Chevy Bolt/Nissan Leaf/Audi e-tron and BMW/Mercedes PHEVs aren't exactly competition unless there's a luxury all-electric car. My parents were on the wait list for a Model 3, they got a refund. I think they want an electric car... if there's a circle-L or 3 ellipses on the grille. Basically, if Toyota came out with an electric Camry or Lexus ESe they will buy it.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

From the article: "because they haven’t yet proved they’re capable of big volumes. When they increase product complexity and volume at the Fremont plant it stumbles in end-of-line quality. Product is delayed. They’re still teething while talking like they’re big boys".

This is the issue.

The Model S and X were meant to be small-volume and built by hand. If Tesla really wanted to avoid a lot of this drama, they could have contracted out with Magna or AM General and had it built in Austria or Indiana. Mercedes and BMW already uses Magna Steyr to build the G-Wagen and Mini Countryman, AM General is still building the R-Class for Chinese consumption. Toyota also took a stake in Tesla and Corolla production will soon be shipped out to Mexico from Canada and Mississippi - and that would leave a plant that wasn't at capacity to be idled.

Last edited:
The way I see it is Tesla is trying to target its future business in the battery and components for EV instead of making cars. That's why the open patent and giga factory. If everyone else build EV and buy components and battery from Tesla, that's more easy money for them, but for now they need to keep building cars to scale up.

They are too expensive and I suspect a Sovereign fund or some funny money (political) is keeping it going. I'd not say it will collapse soon but it may not be a while before it will be self sustainable.

Japanese avoid layoff, that's why 1/3 of their workforce are contractors and temp. Their young people are now in the 2nd lost decades, and corporate holding onto bad loans and bad debts without write off or growth.

$15000 new car that will last 20 years with little and linear depreciation is a screaming bargain, even a $23k hybrid that last a long time with high mpg like Prius is a great bargain, just ask the cab drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back