Should I Feel Bad Buying an Oil Filter W/O Endcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Th e issue was my imagination in seeing the unfiltered oil seeping in between the end of the folded filters. I felt the end caps prevented the unfiltered oil from sneaking into the ends of the folds.

Every pleat end is glued shut. Try opening up the ends of the pleats and you'll see.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
As we all know, filters become more efficient with mileage to an extent.

Not according to M+H/Purolator. They show a slow decrease in efficiency, then a sharp increase right before the filter gets clogged to the point of going into bypass.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
... The issue was my imagination in seeing the unfiltered oil seeping in between the end of the folded filters. I felt the end caps prevented the unfiltered oil from sneaking into the ends of the folds.
I wondered about that possibility, too, until I had chance to examine my used Toyota cartridge. The ends of the folds seem very securely plugged with resin (or glue, or whatever they call the stuff), so it shouldn't happen. However, I can imagine a hypothetical lesser brand might not control the fold-gluing process as well. Is that scenario any more likely than ends of pleats tearing free from an end cap? I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
... 1) Cartridge filters in cars started with higher end models. The pricing model was cast thereby. ...
You mean they resumed with higher end (i.e., German?) models. Even basic cars in the 1950's (and likely well before that) had cartridge filters. When spin-on filters appeared, they were more expensive, because they were the new type then (besides including a lot more parts).

1957 Ford started spin on filter use.
By 1958 saw most American autos, at least the V-8s, go all
spin on filters.
The Stove Bolt Chevy and possibly the Ford big 6 many have
taken a year or two more to change over to spin on.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jongies3
As we all know, filters become more efficient with mileage to an extent.

Not according to M+H/Purolator. They show a slow decrease in efficiency, then a sharp increase right before the filter gets clogged to the point of going into bypass.

That is the tear opening up to the point the media completely separates and flattens itself out against the center tube...
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I don't have one of these filters but I've been looking at cars that use them. My question is since its basically just the guts of a spin on filter why should it cost twice as much?

They don't. OEM filters can be bought from dealers, online, for 3 to 5 bucks each.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I don't have one of these filters but I've been looking at cars that use them. My question is since its basically just the guts of a spin on filter why should it cost twice as much?

They don't. OEM filters can be bought from dealers, online, for 3 to 5 bucks each.

For my Toyota I don't see that the can is $5 something and for the little newer models the cartridge is $11.
I guess I'd shop it more if I had a car that needed one.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
1957 Ford started spin on filter use.
By 1958 saw most American autos, at least the V-8s, go all
spin on filters.
The Stove Bolt Chevy and possibly the Ford big 6 many have
taken a year or two more to change over to spin on. ...
OK, I should've said early to mid-fifties cars used cartridges. The first spin-on I ever saw was on my parents' 1959 Rambler. I can't recall which type their '61 Stove Bolt had. The 1968 IH tractor still used a cartridge.

“For my Toyota I don't see that the can is $5 something and for the little newer models the cartridge is $11.
I guess I'd shop it more if I had a car that needed one.”

Are you saying that a cartridge filter would be a deciding factor in a purchase of a vehicle?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“For my Toyota I don't see that the can is $5 something and for the little newer models the cartridge is $11.
I guess I'd shop it more if I had a car that needed one.”

Are you saying that a cartridge filter would be a deciding factor in a purchase of a vehicle?

Yes my 2004 is just broken in.
How would you like to be a guy on BITOG and have a car with only 1500 miles? Zero credibility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back