Low Tire Pressure Sensors For Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to know if there are after market LTPWS that replace OEM valve stems/caps that xmit to bluetooth on your smartphone and come with an app that pops a notification if psi drops below a certain threshold?

I have a bluetooth headset built into helmet that would give me the notification tone from the phone through the headset.

This would seem to be a good system to have going such that you receive a tone upon the phone getting the notification from the LTPWS and can pull off before control of the motorcycle is compromised too much. Assuming a gradual pressure loss and not catastrophic.

I have scoured the web regularly for the past year for a decent DIY TPMS for bikes, but there is nothing worth spending money on yet. My Triumph Tiger even has a factory option for the TPMS (so the antennas and ECU are already configured for it), but the sensors themselves are around $150 each.

TPMS would theoretically be very useful on a bike because if you get a sudden deflation, you need an instant alert that you need to slow down ASAP.

There are some BT ones on Amazon that replace the valve stem cap, but the excess weight causes the valve stem to wear and eventually create a leak. A proper sensor would install from the inside of the tire.

FWIW, I have a family member that owned a motorcycle dealership until recently, and friends that work at many other M/C dealers. The TPMS that comes on some bikes seems marginal at best. None of the aftermarket systems seem to be great at this point in time.

The best course of action IMO, is the old reliable way of checking your tires before every ride.

Checking tire pressure is a good thing to do, but when you get a foreign object stuck in the tire while riding and air is leaking out, it would be nice to have a heads up about that.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Checking tire pressure is a good thing to do, but when you get a foreign object stuck in the tire while riding and air is leaking out, it would be nice to have a heads up about that.,,,

^^^ This ^^^

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Of course. I'm just letting people know that at this point, the TPMS's on Motorcycles either OEM or aftermarket, aren't the most reliable.

I have the FOBO on the bike with metal valve stems. It shows 1lb lower than gauge. Easy to check pressure before each ride. Battery lasts a little over a year.

I last rode the bike on Oct 4th. Got home from car trip on Oct 24th and as soon as I got close to the bike the FOBO alarm went off that back tire was low. Checked and it was below my alarm setting. Works as advertised.

^^^^

So that's ONE example.

When you see and deal with lots of bikes with TPMS on a regular basis, you tend to notice a common theme.

Anyway, it was just an FYI for fellow riders to keep in mind.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I have scoured the web regularly for the past year for a decent DIY TPMS for bikes, but there is nothing worth spending money on yet. My Triumph Tiger even has a factory option for the TPMS (so the antennas and ECU are already configured for it), but the sensors themselves are around $150 each.

TPMS would theoretically be very useful on a bike because if you get a sudden deflation, you need an instant alert that you need to slow down ASAP.

There are some BT ones on Amazon that replace the valve stem cap, but the excess weight causes the valve stem to wear and eventually create a leak. A proper sensor would install from the inside of the tire.

I was following a Harley touring bike on the interstate and noticed his rear tire getting flatter and flatter over a course of about 30 seconds. I deliberately stayed behind him as I didn't want to see him get run over when he suddenly had to stop and didn't want to distract either by trying to get his attention. The bike got really squirrelly (passenger on the bike too) but he got off the road ok. If he had TPMS it would have been a lot better.

Any warning is better than nothing. I've had false warning on my bikes, cars ,boats and planes. Know the limit of your warning system and know that it may fail or give false warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back