How does this sound +1 Quart 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running a quart over in a 2014 Buick 2.0T LTG. Owners manual states : for track events and competition driving : Add and keep the oil level at 1 quart above the "high Mark" when driving under these conditions : This implies even a little over 1 quart extra is ok. Car calls for 6 quarts, it seems running 7qts is no problem. Any downside? Main Reason : I'm toying with the idea of running Redline 5w-30 for 10k. Currently using Mobil 1 5w-30 for 5k. Thanks. BTW I've always just assumed that OCI was directly impacted by sump capacity. Is this true ?

Last edited:
I have done that in the past with my wifes car. She never checked the oil so I did it for insurance purposes. The car she has now doesn't burn oil so I don't do it any more. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Running a quart over in a 2014 Buick 2.0T LTG. Owners manual states : for track events and competition driving : Add and keep the oil level at 1 quart above the "high Mark" when driving under these conditions : This implies even a little over 1 quart extra is ok. Car calls for 6 quarts, it seems running 7qts is no problem. Any downside? Main Reason : I'm toying with the idea of running Redline 5w-30 for 10k. Currently using Mobil 1 5w-30 for 5k. Thanks. BTW I've always just assumed that OCI was directly impacted by sump capacity. Is this true ?

To prevent oil starvation when cornering.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Track events in a Buick?

Guess you've never had the pleasure of driving a GM 2.0T. Very, very, very fun engine.

As a very general rule of thumb, sure sump capacity affects OCI. Whether a quart extra will make much difference in you car, hard to say. If the manual says you can run it, though, why not?

Track events in a Buick?
Hey, Granny likes to have fun too!
crackmeup2.gif

Notice the OP didn't give the model name. Wonder why that is?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Track events in a Buick?
Hey, Granny likes to have fun too!
crackmeup2.gif

Notice the OP didn't give the model name. Wonder why that is?

It's the LTG engine - a 2.0 Turbo which is used in the Regal and Regal GS. It's a rebadged Opel Insignia, and it's a total sleeper car. I'd love to own one.

Last edited:
Buick "Regal" 2.0T awd. I believe it's the only Buick that gets this engine. It is a fun car to drive. When I get on it the awd system sends most of the power to the rear axles. At WOT it sends around 90% to the rear. Anybody care to chime in on Redline in turbo applications? If I run it 10k it's almost the same cost as Mobil 1 at 5k.

A quart seems a bit much, to me. But, if the manual says it is OK, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

I usually put a half a quart extra in the 3.6 because it loses oil. Haven't had any issues from over filling.

That said, over filling can mess up your oil pressure, but likely more than you put in would be needed to do that.

Last edited:
Running a quart over in a 2014 Buick 2.0T LTG. Owners manual states : for track events and competition driving : Add and keep the oil level at 1 quart above the "high Mark" when driving under these conditions :

That is interesting. In contrast, Nissan recommends running their GTR's oil level a half-quart below the full line for track events, to prevent possible foaming as it sloshes (like beer on Saturday nights) and hits the crankshaft.
mfMA6By.jpg

Its confusing then.
I don't see how the GM 2.0T engine can keep from hitting the crankshaft when its level is high.
I assume both engines (GTR and GM) have windage trays, the roof at the top of the oil level, although there might be some differences between pan & tray designs.???

Last edited:
I've read many a post about the need to keep oci's relatively short (4-5k) in GDIT applications. What is the downside to using say Mobil 1 5w-30 EP & running it for 10K instead of dumping it every 5k ? (GM 2.0T LTG)

I've read many a post about the need to keep oci's relatively short (4-5k) in GDIT applications. What is the downside to using say Mobil 1 5w-30 EP & running it for 10K instead of dumping it every 5k ? (GM 2.0T LTG)
If I may speak in the broadest terms, I think the issue here is mainly fuel dilution. Using EP isn't going to do anything about that. I am actually running that very oil in my one truck, and straight M1 in the other. We'll see in the upcoming UOA's, if there is any difference. It is not going to be for very many miles, however.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Running a quart over in a 2014 Buick 2.0T LTG. Owners manual states : for track events and competition driving : Add and keep the oil level at 1 quart above the "high Mark" when driving under these conditions :

That is interesting. In contrast, Nissan recommends running their GTR's oil level a half-quart below the full line for track events, to prevent possible foaming as it sloshes (like beer on Saturday nights) and hits the crankshaft.
mfMA6By.jpg

Its confusing then.
I don't see how the GM 2.0T engine can keep from hitting the crankshaft when its level is high.
I assume both engines (GTR and GM) have windage trays, the roof at the top of the oil level, although there might be some differences between pan & tray designs.???

Completely different engines and designs. Might be that the GTR has a full line that's close to the limit already and most other cars have a full line that is nowhere near their limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back