Best Fuel Additive for gas every fill up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth do you think your car needs an additive at every fillup? Just run straight gasoline from a busy gas station.

^^ This

I use a combination of non-Top Tier & Top Tier gas in our vehicles. We have a Sam's Club membership we've had a long time, Costco wasn't common in the areas we've lived in until recently. We also have FRN membership which helps make Top Tier from Shell stations more competitive.

I treat with Techron or Gumout All In One a couple of times a year. Without a Costco membership there's significant price difference between Sam's Club, Walnart / Murphy, and other retailers in our area. Enough such that economically, treating twice a year or so is considerably less expensive tban always buying Top Tier for us.

A $7 to $10 bottle of Techron or Gumout AIO twice a year vs. a pretty consistent $0.10 or higher differential most times for Top Tier works for our fleet anyway. I've stopped buying Techron recently though due to the additional restrictions on what retailer you purchase from Chevron has imposed in their rebate programs.

O'Reilly has Gumout AIO for $7 a bottle right now and HEB Supermarkets price is $8 a bottle every day here.

You could use maintenance doses of Red Line SI-1, if you so chose, and you could get it at a reasonable price. Top Tier gas (or something close enough) is probably the path of least resistance, though. I just use Top Tier, generally Shell V-Power NiTRO+, with an occasional Regane or Red Line SI-1 dose.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You could use maintenance doses of Red Line SI-1, if you so chose, and you could get it at a reasonable price. Top Tier gas (or something close enough) is probably the path of least resistance, though. I just use Top Tier, generally Shell V-Power NiTRO+, with an occasional Regane or Red Line SI-1 dose.

I've pretty much gone that route as well. I use Costco's 93 octane in the turbo Optima and 87 octane in the Rogue. My semiannual fuel clean is Redline SI-1. Just bought the PEA rich (or so they claim) new Gumout to try in the Rogue before a big trip.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I've pretty much gone that route as well. I use Costco's 93 octane in the turbo Optima and 87 octane in the Rogue. My semiannual fuel clean is Redline SI-1. Just bought the PEA rich (or so they claim) new Gumout to try in the Rogue before a big trip.

I do it a couple times a year, as well, maybe an extra one or two if I come across a big Regane sale, but those haven't been terribly common lately. Here, pricing is the same pretty much all over, so I can't exactly find a "cheap" premium and then worry about maintenance doses of SI-1. All the Top Tier stuff is the same price as the stuff that isn't, so there's no reason why I shouldn't use it.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
TCW3 @ 1 oz. per 5 gallons

oh...and I run E85 only.

Can you tell a difference when using the twc-3?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I discovered Lucus Fuel Treatment on a whim. They push the little bottle at the parts store counter. Worked well in an oil burning Saturn. It improved throttle response and reduced smoke so I bought it by the gallon. Had some left over after selling the Saturn.

1 ounce per 5 gallons. I was getting 52 mpg after filling up and driving mostly Interstate today.

PS I used to use FP60 back in the day. I like this better.

Lucus Fuel Treatment

I use the Lucas UCL every fill up. The cost is not significant. It's about the same as if you were to jump to the next grade, if not less. I get a gallon off amazon for around 25 bucks, and that will last me a very LONG time. I have consistently seen higher MPG's when using the UCL. It is not a placebo effect, nor am I changing driving habits. That is the reason I use UCL, especially in a full size truck with a v8
smile.gif

Last edited:
I am a long time TCW-3 user also. I use it with E-10 fuel and it goes in everything. Even at 1 oz per 5 gallons, TCW-3 has all the detergents, solvents, lubricants and corrosion protectants you will ever need.

For small engine stuff with no cats, you can go to 1 oz per 3 gallons with no problems. Does the same thing that MMO and Lucas UCL type products do, but much cheaper.

If I am not planning to drive no more than 12 miles a day I would use Techron additive.

If I were to drive on a highway for 300 miles or more I would use a fast burning additive that uses lots of ISOpropanol.

For example I was driving from ABQ to PHX so I filled up with COSTO and added 5 oz of MMO (why not it was $7 for a gallon) and then added B12 since I knew I would burn through the tank within the 300 miles.

Otherwise, when I drive around town I would add Techron like additive every 2nd fillup at Costco. Why? Because I save about $5 filling at costco and that's a price of a Techron additive so why not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2James1

oh...and I run E85 only.

Not really anything significant. I can tell you that since I have started using it in all my small engines I have not had a single issue in the last 5+ years. They start first or second pull every time...even after sitting all winter. When I replace spark plugs they are perfect and clean. It just seems to be a very cheap way to ensure the health of my engines...so it goes in everything I own.

Originally Posted By: 2James1

oh...and I run E85 only.

I can't tell much in MY passenger vehicles which are less than 10 years old. I do however notice a big change in my motorcycle and 4 stroke small equipment. Especially in the motorcycle, the idle is much more smooth and consistent, the acceleration feels more brisk with less vibration and the exhaust smell is almost odorless, instead of smelling like hydrocarbon. My old craftsman riding lawn mower is easier to start, has less vibration at full throttle, the exhaust no longer smells like gas like a typical small engine and the spark plug and piston top is spotless.

How about RLI Bio-Plus? Was doing some reading on it. The Heavy dose is 2oz to 15.6 gallons. Sounds very cost effective at less than $50 a gallon(even with tax and shipping)

i have used it, cant tell if it works or not in my cars, nothing bad happened. I mixed it too strong in my little mower, it ran sluggish but i kept mowing,, next fill up with gas only it ran better than ever.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
Originally Posted By: old1
top tier gas

This

Maybe a bottle of Techron once in a great while to clean things up if you're worried about it, but certainly not every fill up.

+1

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I discovered Lucus Fuel Treatment on a whim. They push the little bottle at the parts store counter. Worked well in an oil burning Saturn. It improved throttle response and reduced smoke so I bought it by the gallon. Had some left over after selling the Saturn.

1 ounce per 5 gallons. I was getting 52 mpg after filling up and driving mostly Interstate today.

PS I used to use FP60 back in the day. I like this better.

Lucus Fuel Treatment

I use the Lucas UCL every fill up. The cost is not significant. It's about the same as if you were to jump to the next grade, if not less. I get a gallon off amazon for around 25 bucks, and that will last me a very LONG time. I have consistently seen higher MPG's when using the UCL. It is not a placebo effect, nor am I changing driving habits. That is the reason I use UCL, especially in a full size truck with a v8
smile.gif

I also use the Lucas fuel treatment, but thats because of California's summer blend gas. My equinox doesn't like it too much. But since I add a few ounces per fill, it runs much better with a little MPG gain. MMO works with smoothing out the CA gas also but I havent seen the MPG gains as I do in the Lucas.

I use top tier fuel from the Kwik trips in WI right now and FP Plus. I see a consistent 2mpg increase over just the regular fuel with spirited highway driving. FP Plus also is supposed to lubricate and clean. Works for me.

I use AcesIV every time I add gas to the tank 1 oz per 6 gallons... Works great and car has got more umpfff to it and at least a couple more MPG... I'm very happy with it...does what it says it does.

Originally Posted By: Buzzinhalfdozen
I use top tier fuel from the Kwik trips in WI right now and FP Plus. I see a consistent 2mpg increase over just the regular fuel with spirited highway driving. FP Plus also is supposed to lubricate and clean. Works for me.

Agreed on the switch to top tier fuels. I used to use VW/Audi FI cleaner on a monthly basis with 91-93 octane non-branded gasoline. I began using Shell V-Power (93 octane) almost exclusively and did away with the additives. If Shell blends their fuels as advertised, there's no need for additional protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back