When you realized its ok to use Fram filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If you're going to waste people's time with an old video that has nothing to do with the subject matter, include something interesting.

Fixed it for you.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
When was it not okay?

This.

I have never bought into the automotive "old wive's tales" that get repeated tens of thousands, even millions of times in the back of shade tree shops by those who consider themselves experts on teh subject because they heard it from their brother-in-law's childhood friend, who works at a Ford dealership, who heard it from one of the old timer mechanics, who heard it from a Pennzoil rep.

Show me the science. Give me evidence. Without it, all you are doing is decreasing your credibility when you repeat these stories to me. I still live by the motto that used to hang over our office at one of my jobs. In God we trust. All others, bring data.

FWIW: Back in the early to mid-80's I used to cut open filters I'd used on a couple of cars of mine. The Fram can (standard version) had cardboard ends to the filter and a string tied around the middle to hold it together. Looked like a piece of junk and I avoided them like the plague for years until I came across this site a few years ago. I've now moved to the Fram Ultra and have been very pleased.

Why would I purchase a FRAM when I can literally turn around in the isle, and grab a M1 filter for $10 to go with my Jug of M1 for $25? (Walmart)

Not trying to be a smart alec, but really.

One of my vehicles has an OCOD (because I couldn't find ST16) and supertech 15w-40 oil. I'm sorry.

I've run fram on different things before. Never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
This realization NEVER came.

Before you Fram it... Slam it!

This.
And those stupid FramPa commercials confirm my decision everytime.
First rule in marketing... Choose your target audience.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Except for this website I have never heard of an issue using fram.

Plenty of car forums bash Fram, when I have asked why all the regular misinformation is regurgitated. Glue and cardboard can't make a good filter is a frequent one. When I point out passenger aircraft wings are assembled with glue I never get a reply...

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Except for this website I have never heard of an issue using fram.

Plenty of car forums bash Fram, when I have asked why all the regular misinformation is regurgitated. Glue and cardboard can't make a good filter is a frequent one. When I point out passenger aircraft wings are assembled with glue I never get a reply...

Claud.

I love that nonsense. That "cardboard" is the same thing the filter is made out of so why is it good enough to filter but not to be the ends? And glue is often stronger than the materials it bonds!

May I throw in my favorite?

NOBODY ever says anything about filtration.

People here cut a filter open and say, "Hey, that looks good!"

Seriously, how smart am I (or anyone else) supposed to think you are when you say empty stuff like that?

When I ran out of affordable options for the horrendously poor Nissan made in China engine destroyers.
Soon I found myself in Walmart, in the oil and filter aisle, opening a box with a fram toughguard resting inside, and now seeing that the silver paint, threads, stampings and adbv all looked a treat so off I skipped with 'er snug in a basket. I may like the M1 EP filter (champion built) better but with the Fall/ Winter OCI coming up we shall try the Fram Toughguy again and report back and possibly make a temporary permanent decision.
Nextly, all here can continue to ignore my awesome first hand knowledge I hand off for no fee
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
May I throw in my favorite?

NOBODY ever says anything about filtration.

People here cut a filter open and say, "Hey, that looks good!"

Seriously, how smart am I (or anyone else) supposed to think you are when you say empty stuff like that?

Just because they say it looks good that is exactly what they said. Did they say it filters well? No!
What good is ultimate filtration when the media tears?

I think it's just a visual inspection to identify failure or not. I'm going to cut all my old filters - but only a few new filters ...

With my first car, when I actually started driving!

our neighbor hear us complaining about the car ('95 Mercury Mystique ...Ford Countour/Mondeo twin) being sluggy/noisy, so.....drum roll.....
he checked our dipstick
diagnose: empty (probably the engine run on 1-0.5 qt)

he walk with me 1/3 mile to the nearest Autozone, show me some 1gal 5w30, and a Fram orange with the "grip". I bought them

He walk me back, pulls out his toolbox, and walks me (supervise me) trough changing the oil...

I scraped copious amounts on the tight space, but the "grip" made it nice to put the new filter back in.

He made sure I first oiled the gasket and the thread and check if the previous gasket didn't remain...

He's a happy Canadian now

P.S. he show me and made me do it (with his same own tools) , how to change the brake pads and rotors....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
With my first car, when I actually started driving!

our neighbor hear us complaining about the car ('95 Mercury Mystique ...Ford Countour/Mondeo twin) being sluggy/noisy, so.....drum roll.....
he checked our dipstick
diagnose: empty (probably the engine run on 1-0.5 qt)

he walk with me 1/3 mile to the nearest Autozone, show me some 1gal 5w30, and a Fram orange with the "grip". I bought them

He walk me back, pulls out his toolbox, and walks me (supervise me) trough changing the oil...

I scraped copious amounts on the tight space, but the "grip" made it nice to put the new filter back in.

He made sure I first oiled the gasket and the thread and check if the previous gasket didn't remain...

He's a happy Canadian now

P.S. he show me and made me do it (with his same own tools) , how to change the brake pads and rotors....

That's what I call a good neighbor!.
cool.gif

Claud

'n' it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back