Put anti-sieze on NGK plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the only issue is some anti-seize can act as a lubricant, affecting installation torque values.

However, if you are using the 1/8-2/3 turn after gasket contact method, then it should not be an issue.

Originally Posted By: knerml
So, the only issue is some anti-seize can act as a lubricant, affecting installation torque values.

However, if you are using the 1/8-2/3 turn after gasket contact method, then it should not be an issue.

The way I read it that is correct.

Just snug them up with a 3/8 ratchet and don't get any on the electrodes and there will never be a problem. If the plug uses a crush gasket 1/8 or snug after the you feel the gasket is crushed is fine, plugs don't need a lot of torque.

Originally Posted By: Trav
All it takes is once to make a believer. I wish you could have done the last Subaru for me and it had plated plugs I still haven't got over that one. I did get them out without pulling the thread but it took a lot of heating and cooling, kroil, impact on low just rattling and heating again.
The local dealer tried and stopped before doing damage (good), insisted the heads would probably have to come off (true). The whole job was a hail Mary pass and all for 2c worth of never seize.

I hear you. One of my Honda V6 plugs was really hard to get out, I was afraid a bunch of threads would come with it. 60K since then so I guess everything is OK with the new plugs, better believe they got anti-sieze!

I would like to think subsequent owners would be appreciative of our use of never seize. I've always used it on plugs as well. Just think of how much expense and knuckle busting could have been avoided had it been used?

I do it by feel. Always with anti-seize. I've changed enough plugs that i snug it by hand and feel. Iron a bit tighter than AL. I change plugs in aluminum heads stone cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back