Little or no roundabouts in the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roundabouts CAN be safer, they are not automatically safer.
There have been 2 roundabouts within 6 miles of me on the trunk route that have been removed (replaced with traffic lights) due to high number of serious accidents and injuries. I don't know of any fatalities since replacement.

This one I'm not sure, but the lanes will be wide. 200 m would probably be a good ballpark guess. One lane though is better to not cause massive confusion.
wink.gif

Today is the first day of construction for a new roundabout here. It's right next to the largest water tower in the state that was recently finished. Also on the border of two cities. Not sure how long it will take but I think they will go at a quick clip to finish since it's massive detour while being built.

I checked ours, not a roundabout as the diagram they had for the media, at all, it's almost like two roundabouts, and they're completely optional, just used for exiting and switching highways, not anything beyond that. I'm not sure what they're accomplishing that they couldn't have done with a cloverleaf, but that's just me.

They installed one about a year ago in a fairly busy intersection on the college campus where I work.

On one hand, it's nice to no longer have to wait at the light when traffic is light.

On the other hand, they can be a disaster at other times in the day and year. As a college campus, we often have the dangerous combination of drivers who are both overly aggressive and just bad drivers(don't watch, drive too fast, etc) at the same time. I've seen far too many near accidents from people who fly around the round-a-baout at a safe speed, cut off drivers when there's no space, force their way in, and everything else. Then we also have the ones who just freeze at them and won't merge in until the circle is empty...

Someone above mentioned the double crossover diamond, or double diamond. It was a big deal when they first installed one here in Kentucky. Truth be told, I actually rather like the design. The way it's put together, there's virtually no way to get "confused" and end up in the wrong lane. More importantly, look at a diagram and trace it and you'll see just why they work so well for busy intersections-specifically they almost completely eliminate across traffic turns. The one in Lexington, KY is at an intersection that use to be a disaster at 4:00 in the afternoon and now basically moves freely all the time.

Originally Posted By: car51
There are two roundabouts within 10 miles of me

Ok, and do you have any thoughts on them?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I prefer them over stop signs, but it's the other 90% of idiot drivers that ruin it for the rest of us.

They are a huge pain for motorcades/convoys. Depending on the size of the motorcade, you may need to have three or four lead vehicles way ahead to block all entrances to prevent a gridlock. Otherwise, one vehicle slightly ahead to momentarily block the flow of traffic from the left of your entrance to the circle will suffice.

I can't believe a forum discussion on roundabouts has made it to page 6 without someone mentioning The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, UK.

magi01.jpg

There's a similar, less famous one called The Plough Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead, UK.

1307923931.jpg

I use the Swindon one frequently - even locals fear it but the reality is far better than the reputation as it flows well.

Last edited:
I drove thru some really big roundabouts in Europe. I will never forget once I was driving in Belgrade, Serbia thru main roundabout with my friend who lives there. He said: open windows so you can yell, If you do not yell people will run you over
smile.gif

However, still not as scary as having average Toyota or Buick driver in small roundabout in Colorado Springs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I drove thru some really big roundabouts in Europe.

You've reminded my of the most famous of them all - the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. I have stood atop the Arc and looked down on the traffic - it is something to behold. 12 roads in and out, no lane markings although it is supposedly 10 lanes wide, priority given to people who are entering the roundabout. Myth has it that insurance policies do not cover accidents on the Etoile, but the truth is that there is an industry agreement that any accidents on the Etoile are settled on a 50% blame basis, to avoid the protracted process of figuring out just who hit whom.

ArcDeTriompheFrance.jpg

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I drove thru some really big roundabouts in Europe.

You've reminded my of the most famous of them all - the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. I have stood atop the Arc and looked down on the traffic - it is something to behold. 12 roads in and out, no lane markings although it is supposedly 10 lanes wide, priority given to people who are entering the roundabout. Myth has it that insurance policies do not cover accidents on the Etoile, but the truth is that there is an industry agreement that any accidents on the Etoile are settled on a 50% blame basis, to avoid the protracted process of figuring out just who hit whom.

ArcDeTriompheFrance.jpg

Yeah, I think PAris takes 1st place in Europe. Though I bet a lot of roundabouts and intersections in Africa and Asia are much worse.

I can confirm the later two although the Asians get along better - in Africa they must have water cooled horns
cool.gif

What do you call that thing in Waco ? - I've only been through it about 4 times and still at idiotic status ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back