Turn A/C off first before shutting off engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a modern car, I just take it out of gear/put it in park, set the parking brake, and flip the key off.

I don't worry about shutting down anything. Automatic climate control systems stay on year round-I just set a comfortable temperature and forget about them. On my LS, I leave it at 72º all year. I do often change the temperature on the MKZ, but usually once it's set for a driving session it stays there. Nothing else-the fan speed, AC status, etc.-gets changed. On my LS, I even set the heated/cooled seats to operate with the climate control so I don't ever even touch them
smile.gif
. Not only do these systems work well, but they're also "smart" enough to do things like not ramp up the blower until the engine is up to temperature in the winter to save you from a face full of cold air.

I treat headlights the same way-I just set them to auto and forget about them.

As mentioned, modern cars will turn things on and off as necessary to make sure they're doing anything that will damage the car. I just let them do it.

A friend of mine with a Subaru clearly does this. The fan control knob is broken and the climate control buttons have worn away. For what?

Set it and forget it.

I've always done this as well. Plus, not crazy about having a puddle of water sitting in the garage. The wife...well, I've tried to explain it to her, but to no avail.

i don't know i just leave it on auto. and during the winter i will shut the a/c off but still just leave it on auto then as well.

it doesn't matter on cars less than 20 years old. They don't have the AC on when you start regardless of the setting.

volvos have had "afterblow" for a long time... 10+ years. freaked me out the first time I ran into it. If you've used the A/C for over 5 minutes, the car will sit for about an hour and then run the cabin fan for several minutes. How long and what speed seems to vary between models. My earlier would run it on a higher speed, the later one runs it longer but slower. It may be 5-10 minutes on the newer one. They monitor the battery voltage in case it's marginal. complicated, yes, but neat feature. (the first time, I thought the BCU was broken and it was going to run the batt down...)

As for turning a/c off... IF I use it, I don't worry about it. Compressor is not engaged during cranking. Elec loads are 'off' (including lights) in most every car we've had since the early 90s when the key is in 'start' position.

-m

I turn off the radio out of personal preference, but never the climate control. I leave it on auto year round so that it will kick on with my remote start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back