Driving without a fan

Racing dirt bikes do not have fans. A fan is a common option on slower woods bikes in hot climates. On my streetbike the only time I have heard the fan is at traffic lights.

I had a 4 cylinder manual Sentra that had a dead electric cooling fan. I'm pretty sure it had been dead for a long time before I realized it. It only got hot one time when sitting in a traffic jam for a half an hour on a 90 degree day. I was amused to find that cranking up the defroster to high was enough to cool the engine down to safe levels. Once traffic got moving a little bit (maybe 15 miles an hour) it went back down to normal.

I ran my YJ 2.5L without a fan around the block during freezing temps in the winter and it got too hot for my liking. It had more power though!

I had a 4 cylinder manual Sentra that had a dead electric cooling fan. I'm pretty sure it had been dead for a long time before I realized it. It only got hot one time when sitting in a traffic jam for a half an hour on a 90 degree day. I was amused to find that cranking up the defroster to high was enough to cool the engine down to safe levels. Once traffic got moving a little bit (maybe 15 miles an hour) it went back down to normal.

Was it the defroster or the heater? I mentioned it earlier where I could tell my fan wasn't working at the time and I just cranked up the heat. But it was my 1995 Integra GS-R and it had an old style slider that controlled the heater core valve. I don't know enough about it to know if it was mechanical or some other way of controlling the valve.

Not sure how that would be done with something with electronic climate controls. Maybe turn off the A/C and select a high target temperature

Was it the defroster or the heater? I mentioned it earlier where I could tell my fan wasn't working at the time and I just cranked up the heat. But it was my 1995 Integra GS-R and it had an old style slider that controlled the heater core valve. I don't know enough about it to know if it was mechanical or some other way of controlling the valve.

Not sure how that would be done with something with electronic climate controls. Maybe turn off the A/C and select a high target temperature
Yeah, I meant the heater. The defrost vent was the least uncomfortable one to have it blowing out of on a hot day.

Yeah, I meant the heater. The defrost vent was the least uncomfortable one to have it blowing out of on a hot day.

I actually set the internal fan (at highest) setting to high-low just to maximize the amount of heat extracted from the heater core. Yeah it was hot. And it took very little forward movement to get the coolant temp down to normal. I still had the heater up to max, although it wasn't strictly needed once I got moving.

That was a strange day though. I remember I took the day off and was on my way to Sacramento in the afternoon. It took me about 2.5 hours to get there from the Bay Area because traffic was so bad. And a lot of it was where I wasn't moving at all on the freeway.

Last edited:
I had 70s Ford Torinos I use to take the fan blade off. Lived in the country and all my driving was highway speed. Turned on the heater in town if I ever got stuck. Got a good 2-3 more mpg.

Bought a cheap fan clutch for my e36 bmw that roared on startup. I just removed the thing October through April. only once when I idled it for 3 hours in the winter did it warm up.

Back