Does regular use enhance AC life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my seldom-use cars that I only start once every so often, I always cycle the aircon. Use it or lose it is an apt expression for these systems.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I've screwed mine up with a can of "with stop leak" r-134. Pretty sure I have a partially restricted oriface tube. It's on the to do list. Icy cold at hwy speed.

I think exercising the compressor every couple weeks is good for the system

Did you look between the radiator and condenser for debris or anything that would interfere with air flow? Does the condenser fan operate normally?

I e got good flow and yes the fan runs. I've put a set of manifold gauges on it and found that above 2k rpm the low side steadily drops as the high side rises until it hits the safety cutoff pressure. It almost has to be a flow issue in the oriface.

It's been working well enough that I haven't been willing to put it in the shop to be fixed. I don't know any AC guys and I don't want to open the system and let the refrigerant vent to atmosphere so I'm gonna have to pay a shop.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
. This is Northern NM at 8000 ft.

I loved visiting northern NM. Its a slice of "heaven on earth" IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

I think that turning of the AC right before you shut the engine down and turn the blower to vent for a minute or so also helps the longevity. I know it helps prevent mold from growing.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
Of my 4 vehicles, the Dodge PU sees the least mileage these days(1994-191k Mi) and most of the use is in the summer and air use. Winter (6-7 mo) is mostly garage time except for when I have to plow the driveway. I can't remember when I last used defrost as our average humidity is probably under 20% year round. This is Northern NM at 8000 ft. It has the coldest air of any vehicle I 've ever been in.
Some mighty gorgeous scenery in northern New Mexico pkuk.I remember when US-64 was not paved between TA and TP. Outstanding drive and out of the way for the most part.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I e got good flow and yes the fan runs. I've put a set of manifold gauges on it and found that above 2k rpm the low side steadily drops as the high side rises until it hits the safety cutoff pressure. It almost has to be a flow issue in the oriface.

It's been working well enough that I haven't been willing to put it in the shop to be fixed. I don't know any AC guys and I don't want to open the system and let the refrigerant vent to atmosphere so I'm gonna have to pay a shop.

Da shop won't be too pleased to have to deal with a car that's got Stop Leak in its AC lines. Their evac machines cost a lot of money or so I've heard (I have one for R12 but not for R134a)

The AC in a modern car is actuated every time the defrost is turned on.....so in effect, most cars AC never sits for long.

Our last three fleet trucks have run their entire life with no AC repairs or recharging. When we engage our equipment for stationary ops we turn the ac to vent and the fan runs continuously.

Here in FL the AC is usually on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back