What GL-5 MT fluid do you recommend for Lexus IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
application.

I will spend the $ on boutique fluids

What viscosity is called for? 75w90?

If the spec is 75w90, I would look at something like Motul Gear 300. It's dual-rated GL4/GL5 and has a very stout basestock. I have used it in several cars and it has held up to track use and hard driving.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Delo Syn Gear XDM 75-90 $5.99 at Autozone. Plain and simple...Spend anymore on anything else and you are wasting your money
Delo

+1

I've been using this when I've serviced a neighbor's Subaru. A bit cheaper than M1 or Red Line, but I doubt most diffs will complain. I think most of the Lexus RWD/rear wheel-biased AWD systems use either open or Torsen diffs.

Red Line 75W-90 also works fine in these.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Delo Syn Gear XDM 75-90 $5.99 at Autozone. Plain and simple...Spend anymore on anything else and you are wasting your money
Delo

Even though I mentioned Motul Gear 300 up top, I would tend to agree assuming the car isn't going to the track or running some crazy power over stock.

Why gl-5 is this a shared sump MT/Diff? like subaru?

I realize that lexus updated the spec to gl-5 just wondering why.

I'd recommend motul gear 300 it works great with synchros unlike many gear oils.

There is nothing shared, it is a manual transmission only. Toyota's change to GL-5 from GL-4 coincided with a change in the material used to manufacture the synchros (not sure the exact change). I've used Redline and Amsoil in a few RA62's, as well as some generic 75W90 GL-5, but I've yet to find anything that shifted better than the Toyota Gear Oil Super 75W90 GL-5 08885-02106. It's a factory-fill fluid that comes in a can from Japan:

TOYOTA_08885-02106_JADC.ru.jpg

I know nothing specific about its additives or specifications beyond the fact that it doesn't seem like anything special at all, just an expensive mineral oil that seems to work very well.

Your mileage may vary.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: JeffLange
There is nothing shared, it is a manual transmission only. Toyota's change to GL-5 from GL-4 coincided with a change in the material used to manufacture the synchros (not sure the exact change). I've used Redline and Amsoil in a few RA62's, as well as some generic 75W90 GL-5, but I've yet to find anything that shifted better than the Toyota Gear Oil Super 75W90 GL-5 08885-02106. It's a factory-fill fluid that comes in a can from Japan:

TOYOTA_08885-02106_JADC.ru.jpg

I know nothing specific about its additives or specifications beyond the fact that it doesn't seem like anything special at all, just an expensive mineral oil that seems to work very well.

Your mileage may vary.

Jeff

I say it's time to place an order from Japan
smile.gif
Nothing worse than a [censored] shifting manual tranny.

Royal Purple Synchromax 75w90 is dual rated for GL-4 and GL-5 and would seem to be a good fit for your "transitional" application. (By that I mean a tranny that was originally spec'd for GL-4 but with updated materials that call for a GL-5).

I have used redline 75w90NS, Motul Gear 300, walmart supertech 75w90 syn blend, subaru super S
and a few others in subaru MT that spec gl-5.

Motul was the best shifting, and had good shift feel for the longest.
Redline was good and widely available.
The supertech was surprisingly good for 4.xx/qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back