Virgin EcoGard S4651 (Synthetic) C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Ecogard sent me some of their sythetic filters (see this post for all details).

From Ecogard, the efficiency per their rep is 99.9% efficient > 30um and 97.22% efficient > 20um.
Not as good as a Tough Guard, but better than the Extra Guard and from what I gather, Wix/Napa Gold.
These have been selling for
So here are the pics:

Can and Box:

Side of box:

No cryptic date code. Made October 11, 2013:

Plastic wrap on the bottom:

Spiral center tube with large holes:

All cut apart:

Silicone ADV and coil spring:

Only 1 wide pleat, metal crimp that goes from top to bottom and glued in:

Soo, we have a little rust in this can too (not near as bad as the other one I cut open)

Little better view of rust:

Quick wipe with a coffee filter:

Same weight as thier regular filter:

Base plate on this one is .2 oz heavier than the other one:

Did not weigh the other cartridge part, but here is this one.

Both media side by side, Syn on left, regular on right:

Synthetic media:

Regular media:

So overall, a decent filter.
I have no way to test the media, but it did feel "softer" than from the regular one.
The regular one felt like very stiff paper, this one was still firm, but the media itself was not as rough, guess from the synthetic blend.
The synthetic media measured 84" vs the regular media @ 86" (both were ~ 1 5/8" high)
Solid construction overall though.

Still a slight issue with rust on this one.
Not like the other, but it is a 3.5 year old filter, and I know other filters have slight rust issues like this on older filters.
Unlike the other one, I would have had no issues using this one.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the rust. I've got a rusty MC FL500 sitting in my garage right now, with a production date of October 2015. I bought it in December 2015ish and the inside of the can was rusty the day I got it.

Not to say it's a good thing, but I don't think it's going to affect much.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
From Ecogard, the efficiency per their rep is 99.9% efficient > 30um and 97.22% efficient > 20um.

The side of the box itself says 99.9% @ 25 microns, 4548-12.

Good overall filter. I agree Fram TG, and I'd add M1 oil filters r as good or better. (Frampa likes the TG recomendation....)

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

The side of the box itself says 99.9% @ 25 microns, 4548-12.

Good overall filter. I agree Fram TG, and I'd add M1 oil filters r as good or better. (Frampa likes the TG recomendation....)

So where do you get 99.9% from, is that what the 4548-12 spec is?

For filters, M1 is just too costly for me.
$10+ for a M1, Ultra for $7-$10, TG for $6-$8, Wix/NAPA Gold for $7-$10, or this one for $4.50-$11.
Ultra is still best bang for buck IMO if you do long (10,000+ mile) intervals or use filter for 2-3 changes.

Its printed on the side of the box in your pictures above.

Your rep could also be right in their figures too, as 99.9 would also apply to 30 microns too.

$10+ for a M1, Ultra for $7-$10, TG for $6-$8, Wix/NAPA Gold for $7-$10, or this one for $4.50-$11.
Ultra is still best bang for buck IMO if you do long (10,000+ mile) intervals or use filter for 2-3 changes.

All true, yet I guess I don't care about a few bucks here and there. Fram Ultra is the best, easy to get too, I just find it easy to use the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Its printed on the side of the box in your pictures above.

Your rep could also be right in their figures too, as 99.9 would also apply to 30 microns too.

Well be. LOL. I was looking on the side of the box for the number, not the front.
33.gif

I also did not even notice the 10,000 mile part either.
More to make me think it is a good canidate for a Tough Guard replacement (if found for the $4.50 price range, if above $5, I would get the TG instead since it is more easily accessable).

While I agree a few bucks is not going to kill me, I don't like spending more than I have to for a product that works as well as a more expensive item.

Thanks for the post. I have one of these (S4477) that I will using on my daughter's 03 Camry for the next oil change. The one that I have also has a 2013 date (10/11/2013) on it. They must have had a big production run in 2013.

Originally Posted By: car51
Nice filter, I'd use it
smile.gif

Me too...I've said it before and I'll say it again...How can China make a filter with nice even pleats for $2 while some American made (expensive) filters have wavy and uneven pleat spacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back