Oil Spec Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's comprehensive, but it's about time they updated it again. This one is 3+ years old and a lot of things have changed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, it's comprehensive, but it's about time they updated it again. This one is 3+ years old and a lot of things have changed.

Maybe they got discouraged by the GF-6 delay, the ACEA delay, and Ford's diesel panic.
wink.gif

As for specifications, I mentioned possibly being able to find Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-30 A3/B4 here. That turned out to be a bust so far.

Anyone know how to find out what's required (in detail) for dexos 1 Gen 2? I did look in the Afton Handbook but it stops a 'old' dexos.

I had a go at comparing SF and SG.

Couple of simple-minded questions:

(a) The test sequence numbers change. Does this imply that the tests, and therefore the oils, aren't directly comparable?

For example,

"Avg. Piston Skirt Varnish Rating, min. 9.2" is measured under Sequence IIID for SF, but
"Avg. Piston Skirt Varnish Rating, min. 8.9" is measured under Sequence IIIE for SG

(b) In this example, is "min." a typo?

IF it means minutes-to-form, then it should be "mins.", that's not very long, the test must be very accelerated, and SG is worse than SF (assuming the tests are comparable)

IF it means minimum, (more likely) WHY would you have a minimum standard for piston skirt varnishing? (though I have heard it suggested that varnish enhances corrosion resistance).

I'd expect it to be "max."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
you rate piston cleanliness, not the varnish. 10 being a new piston skirt.

Well, they should say that then. (I are a ingrish teecha)

These documents are written for use by people with some knowledge of the subject. The piston rating system used here is a 'merit' rating system, where 10 is clean, so the higher the number, the better. There are various cleanliness rating protocols, some are 'merit'-based (higher=better) whereas others are 'demerit'-based (lower=better). You have to know which is being used to be able to determine what the numbers mean.

Originally Posted By: weasley
These documents are written for use by people with some knowledge of the subject.

Ah! So stating the reverse of what they actually mean makes them more exclusive?

That's OK then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back