Oil Specification priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I want a reasonable HTHS, i.e. roughly 3.0 or above for my applications, but I also have to have the number before the "w" in the SAE grade to be suitable for my climate. Sure, I like to see a higher TBN and a lower Noack, and there's nothing wrong with a good VI. But, if I can't use the oil year round, there isn't a lot of point in me purchasing it.

When I'm out of warranty and start looking at synthetics, I'm going to start looking into the latest low-SAPS OE specs (MB 229.71, VW 508.88, etc.) and picking an oil that meets one of those specs and has a nice low volatility number. Haven't decided on HTHS yet. Not really worried about any of the other specs; my car calls for nothing more than API SM/ILSAC GF-4, so I have to imagine anything meeting those high-end specs would be more than sufficient performance-wise.

Thanks Garak.

d00df00d - Wow. 229.71. Your choices are very limited as of right now!
smile.gif

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html

And neither of those products is available Stateside. It'd have to be shipped internationally. Kind of hoping that situation improves in the next 2 years or 29,000 miles. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back