Has anyone here ever worked at a Quick lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at walmart tire and lube for a couple years.
Only had one car that I remember threw its oil out. Someone had double gasketed it. I had grabbed it to park it while the people that did the change were doing the paperwork.
When I got it in the spot, I remember thinking it sounded like air hissing out somewhere in the car.
It wasn't air. I went over and kicked the bay door as hard as I could several times until someone opened it. I pointed at the car and told them the car they just serviced blew all of its oil onto the ground.

Oh! There was another from a different store. The guy was driving along the interstate and his oil light came on. He shut the engine off and parked it, called us. We paid for a tow and they dropped it in the bay. I went under and there was no drain plug. It had fallen out. Had to take pictures to send to the other store that had done the work. I put another plug in it, torqued it and filled the engine back up. He drove off with it. I have no idea if there was any damage from the time it lost pressure to when he got it shut off.

We had this one genius that was installing a battery, and couldn't get the clamps on the post, so he beat the clamp until it went onto the post. Cust. brought car back the next day, said it was leaking acid.
"Tech" had beat it so much it pushed the post into the battery and broke the plastic around it.

Most of the stuff I remember is customer related, tbqh.
Had a woman reequest a flat repair on her car fitted with aftermarket wheels and rubber-band tires.
There was NO sidewall on the inside. It had disintegrated. "Well, can you fix that?" No And we don't carry that size, either.

Had a guy bring back a Duramax demanding another oil change while he watched because the oil was still black. We told him thats what happens with diesel engines. Keep in mind this was a PreDEF engine, so lots of EGR. He huffed and went to a competetor and they told him it was supposed to be clean (ba-ards). So we changed the oil for a second time. Showed him the dipstick after starting it up. Black as tar. He was unfazed.

Oh. I had one that was probably about 50% my error. A 6.0L PSD came in with a Napa Gold oil filter on it. Normally, you can take the cap off the engine, pull the filter out of the cap and install another filter into the cap. I wasn't aware the Napa filter was a complete (cap and filter) unit. We dont stock them. We stock the Fram and the Motorcraft, both of which fit into the stock cap. Well, I tried to pull the filter out of the cap and tore it. I shouldn't have used so much force, but I honestly had no idea these existed. OF course it was late in the evening, NAPA was closed. Ford was closed. So the cust. was rather unhappy he had to leave his truck with us overnight. I told him to either bring another Napa filter, or go to Ford and get the correct cap so you won't have to deal with this again. He bought another Napa unit... We had a powwow over it and we rejected A LOT of 6.0 PSDs because they had those Napa filters on them. Someone in town was putting them on a lot of trucks. Lots of unhappy cust. but there is nothing we can do. Told them to take it up with the people that serviced it last.

Had this one old guy come in with a Brand new 6.4PSD, Black, Harley edition. Said diesel oil was a scam, wanted 10W30 Mobil 1 (Yes, the regular bottle). Went back and forth on it for a bit before managemnet capitulated (as they always did). I saw a truck that fit that discription recently, driven by someone else and I wondered if that old dude traded it in and some schmuk bought it after having been mantained on the wrong oil. Being a 6.4, its probably on its 3rd engine already anyways...

Kinda Going out of scope into the tire side, but Had a fully loaded (ATV in the bed, camper trailer behind) Super Duty come in wanting a new valve stem. It had popped while he was driving down the highway. Whoever put the tires on last on used standard car valve stems, which in case you dont know, are only rated to 65psi. Well, he needed all of the 80psi maximum load on those tires. I installed the heavier stem rated to 80 psi. Just as I got done, another one on his truck popped, while it was sitting in the parking lot. Ended up doing all 4 valve stems.

Lots of people bringing in stuff with broken/missing dipsticks, "Creatively repaired" oil pan threads and other non-sense we can't work on. Cars full of garbage, to the roof, literally with garbage. Cars on there last legs, making all kinds of racket, but here they are, asking for an oil change. As if doing an oil change will magically make the car feel loved and last a bit longer.

Also, a lot of people that couldn't understand why we couldn't remove their wheel locks. Lost a lot of people that way.

Heres some pic I took along the way.

psdair.jpg

sludged_fram.jpg

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
the regional manager who was the biggest arrogant jerk ever.... if he didn't make the numbers the regional manager would scream at him.

The autozone stores in Waco got in serious hot water & lost a LOT of customers years ago because of this.

They would hide the little packets of brake grease in with the brake pads (2 per box & $0.99 each!) for "WITTDTJR sales" numbers.
Same thing with the silicone grease in spark wire boxes.

The cashiers had samples of these packets stapled to a piece of cardboard next to the register, and were told to scan each packet twice (without opening the box) so the sales numbers would go up.

It was a HUGE scam... the dirtiest sales trick I ever saw. SHAME on the regional managers!
mad.gif

It does not suprise me. Auto zone is always trying to push extras. I hate it because I know the employees don't really want to hassle you, but they have to.

I have been there to a point, but I only did it when It was truly necessary, or when the regional manager was around.

IMHO the corporate type regional managers are all like a bunch of spoiled children, they better get their way or they throw a tantrum. I imagine that behavior goes all the way to corporate headquarters. I hate it.

I hated having to upsell something I truly thought was frivolous like a fuel injection cleaning, which was rare for me, only when the regional manager was around....

I was a "bad" employee.... there were several times when a person actually needed an air filter and they simply didn't have the money at that time to buy an overpriced one from the quick lube.

If I thought they would attempt it, I would tell the person look, go over to xxx auto parts, get one for 7.99 and demonstrated air filter installation to them when I put the old air filter in.

Then I said if you have an issue with it ask them at the counter and they will help you. That created a lot of goodwill with a lot of customers with me. They knew I wouldn't try to screw them. And if they actually needed a transmission flush down the line they wouldn't question it, and they would have us do it.

I always treated all our customers with respect, young, old, male and female, black or white. I never talked down to them or tried to scare them or intimidate them into services they didn't want or need. Not all the employees were like that....

Last edited:
I worked at a Pep Boys for like 6 months in college.

Oil changes, tire changes/rotations, light bulb/wiper changes. I actually kind of liked that job.

I was hired because my friend worked there who knew I wrenched on my own cars. Otherwise I had no 'experience.'

I also worked as a NAPA delivery driver at one point. That was great, driving around from early morning until the evening doing nothing but delivering parts to customers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I worked at a Pep Boys for like 6 months in college.

Oil changes, tire changes/rotations, light bulb/wiper changes. I actually kind of liked that job.

I was hired because my friend worked there who knew I wrenched on my own cars. Otherwise I had no 'experience.'

I also worked as a NAPA delivery driver at one point. That was great, driving around from early morning until the evening doing nothing but delivering parts to customers.

I actually really liked my job at the quick lube as well, it was fun overall, I liked the work, you got to see many different cats, and meet many different people, most of which were nice.

The guys (no gals at our shop, but some did) I worked with were good people, some with bad habits, but good folks. Overall we did a good job. Alot of cars came thru and screw up were rare.

I miss those days sometimes. Lots of good memories.

If I could go work one more day there tomorrow, I would.** It would actually be like a vacation... plus I'd take all the old filters and cut them open! Lol.

** (with my current pay! Aw heck, I'd do it for a day with the pay cut.)

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I worked at walmart tire and lube for a couple years.
Only had one car that I remember threw its oil out. Someone had double gasketed it. I had grabbed it to park it while the people that did the change were doing the paperwork.
When I got it in the spot, I remember thinking it sounded like air hissing out somewhere in the car.
It wasn't air. I went over and kicked the bay door as hard as I could several times until someone opened it. I pointed at the car and told them the car they just serviced blew all of its oil onto the ground.

Oh! There was another from a different store. The guy was driving along the interstate and his oil light came on. He shut the engine off and parked it, called us. We paid for a tow and they dropped it in the bay. I went under and there was no drain plug. It had fallen out. Had to take pictures to send to the other store that had done the work. I put another plug in it, torqued it and filled the engine back up. He drove off with it. I have no idea if there was any damage from the time it lost pressure to when he got it shut off.

We had this one genius that was installing a battery, and couldn't get the clamps on the post, so he beat the clamp until it went onto the post. Cust. brought car back the next day, said it was leaking acid.
"Tech" had beat it so much it pushed the post into the battery and broke the plastic around it.

Most of the stuff I remember is customer related, tbqh.
Had a woman reequest a flat repair on her car fitted with aftermarket wheels and rubber-band tires.
There was NO sidewall on the inside. It had disintegrated. "Well, can you fix that?" No And we don't carry that size, either.

Had a guy bring back a Duramax demanding another oil change while he watched because the oil was still black. We told him thats what happens with diesel engines. Keep in mind this was a PreDEF engine, so lots of EGR. He huffed and went to a competetor and they told him it was supposed to be clean (ba-ards). So we changed the oil for a second time. Showed him the dipstick after starting it up. Black as tar. He was unfazed.

Oh. I had one that was probably about 50% my error. A 6.0L PSD came in with a Napa Gold oil filter on it. Normally, you can take the cap off the engine, pull the filter out of the cap and install another filter into the cap. I wasn't aware the Napa filter was a complete (cap and filter) unit. We dont stock them. We stock the Fram and the Motorcraft, both of which fit into the stock cap. Well, I tried to pull the filter out of the cap and tore it. I shouldn't have used so much force, but I honestly had no idea these existed. OF course it was late in the evening, NAPA was closed. Ford was closed. So the cust. was rather unhappy he had to leave his truck with us overnight. I told him to either bring another Napa filter, or go to Ford and get the correct cap so you won't have to deal with this again. He bought another Napa unit... We had a powwow over it and we rejected A LOT of 6.0 PSDs because they had those Napa filters on them. Someone in town was putting them on a lot of trucks. Lots of unhappy cust. but there is nothing we can do. Told them to take it up with the people that serviced it last.

Had this one old guy come in with a Brand new 6.4PSD, Black, Harley edition. Said diesel oil was a scam, wanted 10W30 Mobil 1 (Yes, the regular bottle). Went back and forth on it for a bit before managemnet capitulated (as they always did). I saw a truck that fit that discription recently, driven by someone else and I wondered if that old dude traded it in and some schmuk bought it after having been mantained on the wrong oil. Being a 6.4, its probably on its 3rd engine already anyways...

Kinda Going out of scope into the tire side, but Had a fully loaded (ATV in the bed, camper trailer behind) Super Duty come in wanting a new valve stem. It had popped while he was driving down the highway. Whoever put the tires on last on used standard car valve stems, which in case you dont know, are only rated to 65psi. Well, he needed all of the 80psi maximum load on those tires. I installed the heavier stem rated to 80 psi. Just as I got done, another one on his truck popped, while it was sitting in the parking lot. Ended up doing all 4 valve stems.

Lots of people bringing in stuff with broken/missing dipsticks, "Creatively repaired" oil pan threads and other non-sense we can't work on. Cars full of garbage, to the roof, literally with garbage. Cars on there last legs, making all kinds of racket, but here they are, asking for an oil change. As if doing an oil change will magically make the car feel loved and last a bit longer.

Also, a lot of people that couldn't understand why we couldn't remove their wheel locks. Lost a lot of people that way.

Heres some pic I took along the way.

psdair.jpg

sludged_fram.jpg

The cavalier one is pretty epic.....seen that with another cavalier as well...

I don't understand the "2 packets of grease" scam posted above.

1) Were customers billed for the brake grease commonly included with parts?
1a) ERGO, the bar code on the sample packets kept at the register were programmed at some high price?

2) Why bother hiding the packets (????) in the parts boxes?

3) What does "WITTDTJR sales" mean? Kira

Way back in the late 1980's I worked at a Jiffy Lube after school. I was young but already knew more about cars then the entire work staff. I only lasted 2 weeks. I started out as an upper bay tech where you did all the checks and filled the oil. It was when I was put into the pit to do the oil drains that things got ugly. I was specifically told by the manager that if a car came in with a JL filter already on to not change it....just wipe it down with windex and a rag to look new. I quit on the spot based on morals and integrity. I was blessed because just 3 weeks after I got the call to come work for GM. Never looked back and never went to any quick lube ever since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
I don't understand the "2 packets of grease" scam posted above.

1) Were customers billed for the brake grease commonly included with parts?
1a) ERGO, the bar code on the sample packets kept at the register were programmed at some high price?

2) Why bother hiding the packets (????) in the parts boxes?

The packets of brake grease are an add-on for $1 a piece. Huge markup considering you can buy a small bottle of it for $7 and it contains probably the amount of grease of 40 packets.

It's an acronym for "What it takes to do the job right". It's about being aware of what a customer may need to do a complete job and suggesting it. I worked for AZ for two years when I first moved to Colorado in 1991 and was an assistant manager when I left to go back to industrial distribution. While I worked for AZ I never saw any [censored] managers that you all describe, although I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Two in particular were great stand-up guys, one was Mike who moved here from Texas and the other was Jerry that requested me to work for him when he opened the new store in Thornton on Washington Blvd. Beers are on me if I ever bump into them some day. The culture was to go out of your way to help the customer not screw them over.

YMMV,
T

Oh, and I saved an engine on a junky mitsubishi eclipse. Had the 2.0 dodge neon motor that takes 3/4" thread, had a fram PF16 on it.

Customer supplied a napa filter, service writer (and parts guy) passed it along. I knew immediately looking at it that it was the wrong thread. And the part number didn't cross to a 3614 which was the filter's size. Was a 20mm thread for the "other motor" Mitsu supplied that model. It would have threaded on and popped off later.

Originally Posted By: TMoto

It's an acronym for "What it takes to do the job right". It's about being aware of what a customer may need to do a complete job and suggesting it. I worked for AZ for two years when I first moved to Colorado in 1991 and was an assistant manager when I left to go back to industrial distribution. While I worked for AZ I never saw any [censored] managers that you all describe, although I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Two in particular were great stand-up guys, one was Mike who moved here from Texas and the other was Jerry that requested me to work for him when he opened the new store in Thornton on Washington Blvd. Beers are on me if I ever bump into them some day. The culture was to go out of your way to help the customer not screw them over.

YMMV,
T

True. I worked for AZ in Germantown, TN. while I was in A&P school. We did all sorts of stuff for customers at no charge, even changing belts, alternators and starters on occasion, if they were in a bad spot.

As far as the packets of grease, etc, most customers would go ahead and buy it when we suggested it because they didn't want to do a job half-way. When I thought it was appropriate, I'd suggest the larger bottle of dielectric grease or whatever. It still counted as a WITTDTJR item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back