used airplane seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along the lines of people using barber chairs and old bench seats from vans in a finished basement, is there someplace where I can buy used airplane passenger seats? My wife will likely put the nix on such an endeavor but I'm rolling ideas around in my head...

There's a ton of them on eBay including multiples of one kind.

When the airline I used to work for changed seat styles, they sold them to employees and then eventually gave them away to anyone who would take them. Be warned though that a lot of... stuff happens in those seats, not all of which is completely erased by a new seat cover.

B/E Aerospace business class seats cost almost $80,000 brand new. Those seats are really schmick, I worked on their design; but they take 400hz power, something that would be a pain to set up in a household. Probably easier to get a nice comfy seat from a luxobarge from a junkyard and make that work instead. They only need 12v.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Be warned though that a lot of... stuff happens in those seats, not all of which is completely erased by a new seat cover.

City & Greyhound bus seats are far, far worse....

The most comfortable seats I've ever sat in were in my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo. I sat in them 10 hours a day, for several days in a row.

I've seen that exact seat (black leather with a black and white check cloth center) as an office type chair in a Volvo showroom. I suppose they might have been a promotion from Volvo. They looked really good and would make a great seat.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Along the lines of people using barber chairs and old bench seats from vans in a finished basement, is there someplace where I can buy used airline seats

Google "Marquis de Sade"

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Along the lines of people using barber chairs and old bench seats from vans in a finished basement, is there someplace where I can buy used airplane passenger seats? My wife will likely put the nix on such an endeavor but I'm rolling ideas around in my head...

marathon-man.gif

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
The most comfortable seats I've ever sat in were in my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo. I sat in them 10 hours a day, for several days in a row.

+1. Couldn't agree more. They were wonderful.

I knew a hipster who had a plane triple-seat in his apartment but he was too lazy to fasten it down. The legs spanned the middle seat so you could only sit in the middle without it tipping over, or have two equally-weighted chaps sit outboard.

One bonus is putting ashtrays back in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back