Her dart needs a trans fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancé has the automatic ddct transmission in her 13 dart. It's due for the fluid to be changed. What fluid besides Chrysler fluid can I used? Is there anything available? I can't believe it lived long enough to need its first change to be honest. I hate ddct!

Originally Posted By: ram_man
My fiancé has the automatic ddct transmission in her 13 dart. It's due for the fluid to be changed. What fluid besides Chrysler fluid can I used? Is there anything available? I can't believe it lived long enough to need its first change to be honest. I hate ddct!

does yours have the manual? they're the same unit,the C635, The DDC version just has a Borg Warner Hydraulic Activation Module added on.
Fiat and Alfa both use this same trans.

you just have to drive it like a you would a manual, sans the 3rd pedal. don't idle/creep or you will overheat the trans.

(if your GT is an Auto, its the 6F24 powertech made by Hyundai)

my limited research shows this(from Dodge-Dart.org):
"Basically, the Mopar C635 transmission fluid is a 75W API GL4 gear oil, so in theory any 75W API GL4 fluid should work as a direct replacement. Amsoil does not appear to sell 75W oil, but Royal Purple has a 75W API GL4 oil called Synchromax if you're looking for something aftermarket."
http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-transmission/27849-15-c635-trans-fluid.html

Last edited:
So it can't be a 75w140 or anything like that just a straight 75w

What would be the difference between 75w and 75w80 or 75w85?

Fuel economy, 75w is little thinner than 75w80 at operating temperatures, but difference is insignificant.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For something so specialized, why not use the correct fluid?

It's so hard to get a hold of the actual stuff and it's so expensive.
And it's just a manual internally so I assume there isn't much specialized about the lubed part of it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For something so specialized, why not use the correct fluid?

It's so hard to get ahold of the actual stuff and it's so expensive.
And it's just a manual internally so I assume there isn't much specialized about the lubed part of it.

You can get anything on the internet, delivered directly to your door.

Why does a newer dart need transmission service, and what is the interval per the book?

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Why does a newer dart need transmission service?

Chrysler transmissions have always required frequent service, and the minivans require frequent transmission replacement
27.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Why does a newer dart need transmission service?

Chrysler transmissions have always required frequent service, and the minivans require frequent transmission replacement
27.gif

It's a Fiat transmission and I'd rather it give a reasonable interval than say it has lifetime fluid.

Look up the exact spec that the manual calls for, then cross reference that against whatever brands, find the one you best like the price of and buy it. Or do like I do for my VW DSG; use OEM (75w90 in my case)and call it a day. You are only changing it out every 50k miles.

Last edited:
I found any 75w90 will work they run that in the giuliettas with the same trans. My issue now is finding a 75w90 without friction modifier

Amazingly, in europe the fluid in those boxes has no mileage or time limit... and there aren't any issues with the boxes either.

It takes a thin GL-4 MTF, though Castrol syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back