Getting New Vehicle Becoming Pointless to Me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just keep it since it has low miles.

I inherited a 2005 Civic sedan with only 28K miles. These older cars are so much easier and low tech than cars filled with [censored] I don't want or need.

Agreed!

Between my wife and I, we have 4 vehicles. They each have a purpose. She has her run around car that makes her feel secure and comfy (XJ6, 175K miles), I have my Saab 2.3T 9-5 (142K) that I use to commute to Pops for elder care 120 miles away bi-weekly (he's 97). We have a 1970 C-20 pick-up that hauls gravel and lumber, etc (348K, 2nd engine). We also have a Big Bronco 4x4 that pulls the boat, goes camping and off road, etc (213K). They are all pretty clean with good interiors except for the truck, and it's not bad.

We can take any one if one need to go under the wrench. We believe in keeping older nice cars and trucks out of the recyclers and on the road. Diversity is nice. Having options is nice. And on nice days we can take the bike
laugh.gif

We are changing things around. The Saab will get sold as soon as Pops passes. I won't need a highway car with fold down rear seats to haul him and his chair to the VA anymore.

Also selling the C-20 as my wife is not a fan. She got her fun with the BBC and is now tired of the hard ride and noise. So it'll get replaced with a F-150 extended cab, maybe a 4x4. If it turns out I can get a good clean 4x4 version, we'll sell the Bronco too...

The bottom line is we have less than $25K in all these. I do a fair amount of my own maintenance. But, if I don't want to tackle it, I have no qualms about sticking one in the shop. I have no payments on anything. So the money I might be putting out in monthlies, I can use as maintenance funds anytime it's needed
smile.gif

I'm not saying this approach is for everyone. But having options and no payments has been a joy to both o us. Much more joy than the occasional hit for a service bill for the AC or something... I made my last car payment in 1973 and swore I'd never do it again. So far, no new car has tantalized me enough to make payments.

Yeah, I'd love to have a VW GTI as a boy-racer toy car. But I could do with a 1980's with a new engine I built. Yeah, I'd love to have a 1984 Mustang GT 5.0 (last of the carb'd ones with a roller cam), and if I look long enough on Craigslist I might find one. Or a Thunderbird SC with the blown V6 (they are quick :D).

Buick GNX is too pricey for me. But there are a LOT of fine used cars out there. Heck a 54 Chevy Bel-Air that was restored a few years ago and is for sale from an estate would get looked at real close. But a new car - not goinna happen ...

I hear the thing about auto-trans in traffic ... Except for a boy racer toy car, I won't have any sticks any more. Traffic in the SF Bay Area has gotten awful and I don't want clutch leg/foot any more ...

I have never seen the actual average numbers for total energy consumption for car/truck production from raw materials through recycling, but it must be huge ... Billions of watts/calories/whatever. I'm not saying no-one should buy new. I am thinking it's only needed when it really make sense. There is a social/environmental element to this that has to be taken into account somewhere along the line ...

That just might be the best looking Forester i've ever seen and you have the right transmission. No need to get out of that anytime soon. I was really into new cars too but seeing the depreciation really hurts. I don't think i'l do it again unless we see some crazy used markets again. When we got the 14 accord it was actually cheaper than lightly used ones. Now you can get good deals on used again.

Originally Posted By: dareo
That just might be the best looking Forester i've ever seen and you have the right transmission...

Yeah one thing I do like about the manual transmission is that with the manual Subaru uses a viscous center differential that sends a perfect 50/50 torque split front/rear axles full time, what Subaru terms "continuous" all wheel drive. The center diff while viscous, is still pretty tight because on a freshly sealed asphalt parking lot doing a turn at full steering lock you can hear tires chirp a little and feel some binding. Of course, that same center diff tightness helps when soft-roading or even off-roading although serious off-roading isn't the Forester's intended territory.

The auto trans in the same model year uses a multi-plate transfer that varies the torque split front to rear and I don't think it can split to 50/50 if I remember right it can go 60/40 max.

My car ownership strategy is to buy vehicles with a reputation for longevity and to take care of them as well as possible both mechanically and cosmetically. Cars don't really rust here so as long as you don't wreck or abuse a vehicle you can drive it till you can't stand it anymore.

At over 100000 miles my truck still drives and looks new. My wife's as well. With the money we save when it is time to buy a new vehicle it is no big deal.

Same situation: 66,000 miles on my 05 ION [I know, not everyone's cup of oil ]. Looks new, still. Seats covered from year two. All belts, hoses and spark plugs done at the 10 year mark, early trans and coolant flushes, etc. OCD maintenance, really. I know it's service history.

I am not anti tech, but I just don't need touch screen, a wi-fi hotspot, infotainment capability, all of which will be outdated during the time I own it, which would be many many years. Even cruise is of dubious value for my purposes. I have always felt On Star was the answer to a question no one asked, though I like the idea of the vehicle data reports. But in the end it's just another bill to pay.

It would be foolish to dump what I have. And what I would spend in car payments goes into savings accounts every month and then CDs.

As such nothing out there currently would motivate me to give up my position for the "pleasure" of driving a new car.

Debt does not bring me pleasure and as stated above, life is too short.

Liking this weird car helps. Which is a surprise since I was ambivalent when I bought it, having to replace a totaled car [my first brand new one. Lesson learned, but resented losing it, so nothing less than new would be good enough].

Everyone is different, but my take and response to being in debt are now so hard wired, it would take a lot to put put myself in the new car market.

Originally Posted By: Audios
All new cars are junk, ridiculously over engineered and that will only add to the maintenance costs and long term unreliability. The manufacturers are developing them to be disposable, with longevity an afterthought, and with all of the computers in there now it will only guarantee that 200k will be a rare sight for most manufactured today. Im going to try and stick with most cars before 2010 or so, even earlier if Im lucky. Well see how long that can hold out though, in 15 years IM going to be driving 25 year old cars as a daily? Probably not....

Well we can agree new BMWs and Audis are....that's for sure. Other than that I totally disagree with your entire statements. Cars are better than they ever have been. And very reliable up to 200K.

I also think the best way to buy cars is to find a nice 2-3 year old car and drive it for at least 150K-200K miles.
Me, I tend to buy used and keep them for at least 10 years or so. I did order the Club Sport because it was a limited edition and I wanted it optioned in a very specific way. I've had it for 22 years and plan to keep it forever. The Wrangler has been in my garage for 15 years, the 328i for 5. The Clubman replaced a 2004 X3 with 193K on it, primarily because my wife always wanted a Mini. The 2er was bought as a 2 year old CPO; it replaced a 207 Mazdaspeed 3 with 158K on it as I wanted to go back to a RWD DD/track car with adequate horsepower. The i3 is in the fleet just for giggles- the lease was just too good to pass up. At this point I can't see buying or trading anything for at least another 8-10 years.

My 2003 Jag is 15 years old. It's finally getting to the point where I need to consider selling it.

My 2009 F150 is 8 years old. It's nowhere near the end of it's service life.

My 2004 Honda S2000 turbo is a low miles toy, and has value to me.

I tend to purchase new, at a discount, and keep cars a long time/miles. I get my money's worth that way. Cost per mile is absolutely competitive with used cars. And I get to maintain it properly from the start and enjoy many years of zero repairs.

When it comes down to it, repairs and reliability are my reasons to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back