Getting New Vehicle Becoming Pointless to Me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I research and think about it, FOR ME, getting out of my '09 Forester for a new one or new something else... even pre-owned but newer, is not really that important. Used to be all ga-ga about a brand new vehicle, loved that smell etc. Just not feeling the pull any more. Oh sure when I drive my manual trans '09 in city stop and go, I quietly wish for an automatic, but that's about it and that doesn't happen that much. The trusty '09 has yet to flip over to 60,000 miles-- currently @ 59K -- and will need to get the 60K service performed soon. Honestly, the timing belt service for 100,000 miles is overdue by time I think it is 7 yrs or 100K, so even at 60,000 miles probably need to get that done. But the car has been rock solid for everything I need, it's even a decent cruise ride on the interstate. Still like the way it looks, simple and clean lines, decent stance for an all wheel drive CUV with the 225/60VR17's. Really inclined to just hold on to it until the new vehicle bug bites harder someday, if at all. Pic from a couple weeks ago:

406074d1494783417-official-sh-09-13-picture-thread-img_20170514_121157.jpg

I'm pretty much in the same place-my wife's xB is starting to get a little long in the tooth at 12 years plus & 86K now, and I would love to consolidate all the extra trucks & car in my sig into one new diesel crew cab service body truck. But, at an easy $65K price tag, and only my Ram really worth a lot at resale, there's no way to justify it. New DPF diesels are a nightmare anyway!

I like keeping vehicles as long as possible. It's partly just a family thing, and a challange to see how long I can get it to last; dad has 361,000 miles on an '86 Chevy K20 he bought new, and 430,000 on a '97 Suburban he bought @ 170K. The last car my grandpa (a 30-year GM employee) bought was a '96 Lesabre when it was no more than a year old, and he willed it to me upon his death in 2014 which saw it at 180,000 mi. and in better shape than most. I bought my Cruze new in '13 and have 93K on it, and I intend for it to see 300K and maybe passing down to one of my children as their first car. I shake my head at the types that buy a new, or different fairly-new, car every few years - if I had the money to waste I wouldn't do it that way. So you'll hear no conplaints from me on sticking with a nice Subie. The current and coming generation of cars are the most tech-laden ones yet by quite a distance - for better or for worse, even though your '09 and my '13 certainly aren't lacking technology, they'll probably never make a car with less gadgets to act up after the warranty expires. If it suits you, keep it and screw anybody that blames you for being thrifty and not wasting thousands on depreciation repeatedly.

I know what you saying. I have a '14 rogue select and the good seats and fluid ride make me comfortable.
Your 09 forester, That's a good car you aren't missing anything. Wife was just "meh" about her last redesigned forester, plus we got an oil eater in that one that is part of a class action with Subaru providing extended engine warranty. On your '09, its Hard to knock that EJ motor with "VTEC". Better than the FB25. She has a crosstrek now and that's just MEH too. The new impreza wagon's got room, but its like sitting on the pavement after being in a CUV. I'm going to drive the new KIA Sportage but they aont givin them away anymore. The Mitsubishi Outlander is the deal now, but I haven't driven one.

I'm lusting after a new 370Z sport. Most sports car for the money out there - REAL race car suspension on that thing. for just over 30K. The thought of being buried in the winter quell this passion.

No sports car for Ken I guess.

All new cars are junk, ridiculously over engineered and that will only add to the maintenance costs and long term unreliability. The manufacturers are developing them to be disposable, with longevity an afterthought, and with all of the computers in there now it will only guarantee that 200k will be a rare sight for most manufactured today. Im going to try and stick with most cars before 2010 or so, even earlier if Im lucky. Well see how long that can hold out though, in 15 years IM going to be driving 25 year old cars as a daily? Probably not....

Of course, it's your money and you're free to do with it as you wish, but,

Buying a new car who you already have one that works is greedy, unnecessary and wasteful. Think of the money and resources saved if every car car bout was run into the ground before its replacement was purchased - we'd still have roads full of dailies from the 70s and 80s, less landfill and more raw materials, not to mention more cash and less debt.

Keep it in daily use until the cost of repair is greater than the cost of a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Audios
All new cars are junk, ridiculously over engineered and that will only add to the maintenance costs and long term unreliability. The manufacturers are developing them to be disposable, with longevity an afterthought, and with all of the computers in there now it will only guarantee that 200k will be a rare sight for most manufactured today. Im going to try and stick with most cars before 2010 or so, even earlier if Im lucky. Well see how long that can hold out though, in 15 years IM going to be driving 25 year old cars as a daily? Probably not....

EPA/High gas prices/safety ratings Cars are built for those three things. Nobody can build a good car, the government will not let them. VW tried to cheat and look what happened.

There is a niche market for classic cars, classic car dealers are a thing, I know of three dealers. I would be TEMPTED to buy a fully restored '68 Nova SS these days, if you want it.

Research shows that one of the common traits of people with a net worth of $1 million or more, is they buy used cars over new.

The less wealthy sometimes don't have much choice, as a new car loan is one of the easiest to get (as far as credit scores go) while the banks won't lend for a used car unless your credit is above average, basically good enough to just ask for a cash loan instead of putting up security.

If this relatively low-use car suits you, then I can't think of any reason to trade it off.
You would get a good buck for it, though.
The turbo does add value as well.
Still, using a car for as long as its remains reliable makes a lot of sense and does lead to lower lifetime cost of ownership.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The more I research and think about it, FOR ME, getting out of my '09 Forester for a new one or new something else... even pre-owned but newer, is not really that important. Used to be all ga-ga about a brand new vehicle, loved that smell etc. Just not feeling the pull any more. Oh sure when I drive my manual trans '09 in city stop and go, I quietly wish for an automatic, but that's about it and that doesn't happen that much. The trusty '09 has yet to flip over to 60,000 miles-- currently @ 59K -- and will need to get the 60K service performed soon. Honestly, the timing belt service for 100,000 miles is overdue by time I think it is 7 yrs or 100K, so even at 60,000 miles probably need to get that done. But the car has been rock solid for everything I need, it's even a decent cruise ride on the interstate. Still like the way it looks, simple and clean lines, decent stance for an all wheel drive CUV with the 225/60VR17's. Really inclined to just hold on to it until the new vehicle bug bites harder someday, if at all. Pic from a couple weeks ago:

406074d1494783417-official-sh-09-13-picture-thread-img_20170514_121157.jpg

I agree with you. If your vehicle is serving you well and posing no major repair problems, or you can do 99% of the repairs yourself, then keep a vehicle as long as you can.

How much does it cost to do the timing belt? Will you be doing it yourself?

When I was looking for a newer van to replace my 98 Sienna, I found nothing but poorly maintained vehicles.

I only bought a new van since I got a good deal along with zero percent financing. Since I'll be keeping this vehicle for more than 10 years, it was a no brainer.

Another point I mention to my customers when they say " It needs 2000 in work, im just going to trade it in" is think about how much that new car will cost you, if not monthly payments, right up front to drive away. Probably 2-3k down and 400/mo minimum. In one year youll be spending at least 7k for the new car, not to mention higher insurance costs, so if you do these repairs and they get you a year, youre 5000 ahead of the game. Even an engine or trans replacement would still keep you ahead.

I've been thinking about saving up for a new/newer vehicle to replace my 99 Crown Vic... instead I just bought an even older truck with more miles... I'm happier than ever, if one breaks down I'll drive the other until I have time to fix it with dirt cheap parts I can get at any auto parts store or junkyard and put in with a basic set of tools.

Both cars already have a little personality, if I get a door ding, sure I'll be annoyed, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Both cars have working heat and AC and so I'm better off than many people. Sure, the Crown Vic needs a steering gearbox and a ball joint and the Chevy could use a brake fluid flush, and could use a better sound system than a Bluetooth speaker taped to the dash, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive either across the country. Not because a breakdown is impossible, but because I won't have to worry about towing it to a dealer and having the car sit there for two weeks while a thousand-dollar part is special ordered.

If I won the lottery I'd buy a new Silverado Duramax without hesitation, but I can guarantee you that won't last 25 years without expensive repair. I mean, yeah, my 92 is on its 2nd 700r4, but 25 years of DEF costs more than a used 700r4.

Last edited:
Many low mileage cars are coming off lease now. The used car market will be saturated and it will drive down the average selling price for new cars. The next few years will be a great time to buy a car. Do whatever makes you happy, but you can't take it with you so enjoy life.

I prefer to drive a newer vehicle because the safety improvements. You only live once, and as long as I'm not buying a brand new $100K luxury vehicle, it's not going to affect my finances materially.

That being said, my wife refuses to get rid of her 2006 Pilot. It had good safety rating from the IIHS for its time but I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty in a small overlap test. Same probably applies to your 2009 Forester.

I feel the same. Why take the depreciation driving it off the lot. We bought our Buick at a $10k discount off new with 30k miles.

That is crazy low mileage and a nice looking Forester. I too don't mind the clean, simple look of my base model 2016 Forester. I'm just under 31K miles on mine. The only advantage to going with a newer Forester is the MPG increase you'll see. Warn weather mileage is typically 30-32mpg average tank/tank with my 2016. Not enough of an advantage to unload your 2009 though.

Just keep it since it has low miles.

I inherited a 2005 Civic sedan with only 28K miles. These older cars are so much easier and low tech than cars filled with [censored] I don't want or need.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If this relatively low-use car suits you, then I can't think of any reason to trade it off.
You would get a good buck for it, though.
The turbo does add value as well.
Still, using a car for as long as its remains reliable makes a lot of sense and does lead to lower lifetime cost of ownership.

Mine's not the turbo model but it is the "good" EJ253 motor though. It doesn't use oil excessively (5W30 the recommended vis by Subaru) and I can rely on about half quart use in 5000 miles which is very acceptable. May someday have the dreaded Subaru head gasket failure, one reason I made sure when the complete coolant flush was done @ 30,000 miles that the proper Subaru Coolant Conditioner additive was put in and genuine Subaru OEM blue coolant was used. Same necessary again at 60,000 miles (every 30K).

Here's a shot of the EJ253 with a fresh NGK ignition wire set I installed a while back:

1_IMG_4445.JPG

Originally Posted By: Audios
All new cars are junk

Been hearing that for years.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Think of the money and resources saved if every car car bout was run into the ground before its replacement was purchased - we'd still have roads full of dailies from the 70s and 80s

Think of how much more dirty our air would be.

I'm also thinking that, unless if our driving habits stayed as it used to be, we'd probably be burning more gasoline today (average mpg has ticked up over time, albeit slowly). Granted, as you point out, we'd not be smelting metal and making plastic left and right, so it's hard go gauge if total daily usage of energy would go down.

I prefer buying new and getting my money's worth, but yeah, I tried shopping a while ago and nothing made me want to buy. It's nice getting something new and shiny once in a while, can't deny that (and it doesn't matter how well I take care of my stuff, it's going to get dented, rusty and worn, unless if I just garage it--and what's the point of that?). I will say that there is some value in at least keeping an eye on the market. What happens if someone wrecks your car (aka it was the other guys fault)? Car buying not under a time crunch is bad enough. Having a good idea as to what you'd replace your current vehicle with isn't a bad idea, if the worst happens. Sounds like you know what you'd get, if that were to happen.

Only 60k miles...you have tons of life left in that one! Worst case down the road buy a 2-3 yr old car with low miles, should still smell new-ish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back