It's started...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined BITOG a few months ago as it's always amazed my how you can have 5 different oils with identical specifications on the label yet the contents of each could be widly different.

I seem to have started collecting cheap oils though! Is this normal BITOG member behaviour?

I was walking around ASDA (a UK Wallmart owned supermarket) a few weeks ago and they had their 5 litre (1.32 US Gallons) drums of oil on offer at £9 each.
Well I ended up buying 4 drums of VW 502/505 5w40 spec oil and 4 drums of VW 504/507 5w30 spec oils.
Why? Well both oils will go in my partners car, my Mothers and my Fathers Defender and the 504/507 would be quite happy in my Focus but did I really need to buy 40 litres of oil?
crazy.gif

I also have 10 litres of Shell Helix Professional AG Dexos 2 oil. I had an email from Euro Car Parts with it on offer at £20 for 5 litres so I snapped 2 up. Again, quite happy to put it in my Focus... but did I need to buy it?

Is this a taste of what's to come? I'm worried if this carries I will eventually end up with furniture made out of oil cans.

I was laughing when I was reading your post. I just ordered some more oil for my daughters car. I now have enough oil to do 5 oil changes for her.
And still looking for the next big deal to save on oil. Hope I don't become one of those hoarders that you see on tv.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
I'm worried if this carries I will eventually end up with furniture made out of oil cans.

I see no problem with this

coffee2.gif

Your maintenance might become oil centric. You might put off a radiator flush a few months or a tire rotation but never an oil change. if it's due at 35,000 you do it between 34,900 and 35,100 without fail. If it means Sunday morning before church then so be it. It gets done. Or even worse on Super Bowl Sunday you get up early, do the oil change and then get ready for the game. That's life.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Or even worse on Super Bowl Sunday you get up early, do the oil change and then get ready for the game. That's life.

I doubt that will be an issue for the OP. Maybe the FA Cup or the Rugby World Final.....

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Your maintenance might become oil centric. You might put off a radiator flush a few months or a tire rotation but never an oil change. if it's due at 35,000 you do it between 34,900 and 35,100 without fail. If it means Sunday morning before church then so be it. It gets done. Or even worse on Super Bowl Sunday you get up early, do the oil change and then get ready for the game. That's life.

That was me before BITOG. Now I know that going 500 over isn't going to cause my engine to explode.
grin.gif

However, like the OP, I am addicted to oil and filter sales, clearances, discounts, coupons, and rebates. I have enough oil now to get me till 2019. That's plenty. I don't even know if I'll be driving the same cars by then. I told the wife to cut me off from buying oil. I just found two 5 qt. jugs of Valvoline that I had been carrying around in my trunk for who knows how long. Bought them with a coupon. It's a good thing they weren't Pennzoil bottles
smile.gif
; I would've had an oily trunk for sure.

I've found this site has also made me extremely OCD about who messes with my cars. I don't take it to a mechanic unless I absolutely can't take care of it myself.

I haven't bought any oil in years and I STILL have like a 4 to 5 year supply. I way over bought. My plan is to get it down to a managable level and then just use the Wal-Mart shelves as my oil stock. I'm tired of looking at oil.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy

That was me before BITOG. Now I know that going 500 over isn't going to cause my engine to explode.
grin.gif

Shoot.... I go 5,000 over now!

I used to do 3,000 mile OCI's - now I do 10,000

Yeah, I've scored two cases of WIX filters for about $15/case because of two automated pricing mistakes.
If you're doing one oil+filter change per year, that's a deep inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back