HPL Euro 5w30

This is their Euro 5w30, VW 504/507, Porsche C30, ACEA C3, API SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 offering.

The lab has this labeled wrong, the first time they had it listed as supposed to be a 5w20 even though I clearly labeled everything.

I was a little surprised at the moly, but I don't know what's normally reasonable for these specs. I did ask to retest because most HPL products have a good dose of moly. Strong TBN, thick 30.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 112944.jpg

Yeah, no Molybdenum in there. But I'm sure this information is very useful for some that would like to know before they run it.

Sometimes a high amount of moly isn't the way to go. Oil formulating involves a balance of additives to ensure good synergy between additives while ensuring there's no clash with others. An additive(s) could work well with one add pack and base oil blend and conflict with another. HPL is frequently testing their formulas, looking for ways to make them better. If they left the moly out, there's likely a good reason for it.

Sometimes a high amount of moly isn't the way to go. Oil formulating involves a balance of additives to ensure good synergy between additives while ensuring there's no clash with others. An additive(s) could work well with one add pack and base oil blend and conflict with another. HPL is frequently testing their formulas, looking for ways to make them better. If they left the moly out, there's likely a good reason for it.
Certainly makes sense.

I’ve been leaning much more to the mind set that the best oil is the package, not necessarily because it has a bunch of XYZ. Was just a little surprised since they tend to like moly but if it’s not the right fit then it’s not the right fit.

This is their Euro 5w30, VW 504/507, Porsche C30, ACEA C3, API SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 offering.

The lab has this labeled wrong, the first time they had it listed as supposed to be a 5w20 even though I clearly labeled everything.

I was a little surprised at the moly, but I don't know what's normally reasonable for these specs. I did ask to retest because most HPL products have a good dose of moly. Strong TBN, thick 30.

View attachment 193066
What was the cost for this VOA? I have a sample of this oil from this past summer and I just haven't had the desire to send it in to BS.

Keep in mind tax and shipping will bring that up to $48. If you buy 3 kits at a time, that brings the cost per kit down to $39.
And it becomes worth it to do the 6 month PC trial for $10. Brings it down $5 or 6 each if you’re looking to buy 4-5 of them. That’s my plan when I use up the ones I have now.

Weird. Their 5W40 variant is loaded with moly.
The 5w40 is a completely different oil based on the 502 add pack.
Honestly I'd just reach out to HPL with that question, you'll be guaranteed the right answer.
I did and David said that one of the add packs reacted negatively when they started treating it so they moved away from moly in that formula.

So how does this look vs. the old standard German Castrol?

Edit. Sorry that's a 502 not 504. Disregard.

Going to add my recent VOA in here figuring keeping all VOAs for the same oil in a single thread, and having data and analysis from different labs is just good science. If that is not ok I am sure a mod can move this to a new thread.

HPL Euro 5w30 VOA.JPG

Back