Denso 90915-YZZF1 Oil filter cut open 5k interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the oil filter from a 2009 Scion xB. It has the oil burning 2.4l, and it uses a half quart every 2k miles.

This oil filter has roughly 5,000 miles on it it was on it when I bought the car in the previous owner generally had the oil changes done at the dealer I'm assuming they use 0w20 or 5W20 but I don't know that for sure the oil filter seem to be of decent quality it was definitely capturing dirt.

The rubber ADBV was sealing properly, had no tears and was in good condition.

I have a few theories why this filter was so dirty I had purchased this car from my mother-in-law for the same price they were going to get from the dealer trading it in on a new car and my mother-in-law generally drove fairly sedately where is there had been times that I had driven the car like I stole it, maybe that knocked stuff loose? T

The other thing that went through my mind is maybe that filter hadn't been changed at the last oil change as sometimes quick Lubes even at the dealer are known to do, or likely it's just because the engine was plain dirty.

After this oil change had been done the next one I ran a 2000 mile interval on and that looked much better so I'll probably continue doing early oil changes until it cleans up a bit.

This one looks really bad but it's because of the light.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good for a filter that according to one member here, is not efficient and undersized.

Denso makes good filters, regardless of where they're made.

That amount of consumption isn't bad at all for that year of the 2AZ-FE. I had a 2008 Scion tC that I purchased at 100k, and it consumed about a quart every 2.5k using 0W-20. Even that I felt was pretty reasonable considering what some others have reported online. The dealer put 5W-30 in it before I bought it and it hardly consumed any oil using that grade. The consumption really ramped up when I switched it back to 0W-20. It had that same filter on it as well, I believe. I know it was a Toyota OEM. Great filters, but I believe I remember reading somewhere that the efficiency isn't very good.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Looks pretty good for a filter that according to one member here, is not efficient and undersized.

Denso makes good filters, regardless of where they're made.

That's why I replaced the denso with an fl299.
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
j/k

Last edited:
The pleats are much deeper than other brands and they are doubled up. The element fills the can with no wasted space, and the no end cap design still allows flow easily. The seal rings on the ends is like a gasket. The center tube is narrow. Not widened to save on media. Holes, not louvers. The adbv is very pliable even after use on mine. The can is thicker than other low cost filters. The bypass valve opening is large. Too bad there are no real verifiable specs on the efficiency. I still like them, no one has shown any defects I am aware of.

Denso makes some well built filters, that is for sure. Thanks for cutting and posting.

It sure did catch a lot of crud. Maybe a UOA would be in order once you have completed a couple of short intervals?

Thai Denso didn't work for me back in the mid 2000's. So YMMV. JAPON Denso with density media ( as used by LEXUS) No hay Problema!

Last edited:
It's interesting that the media element is the exact media cartridge used in cartridge-type (canless) Toyota oil filters, with the soft-gasket ends.

Yes, Denso does try to pack as much media into the small element as possible.

Does cuteness equal performance and vice versa? Probably not but it's still a good thing.

As far as efficiency is concerned, I think Toyota sacrifices a lot of efficiency for longer oil-filter life and so does Honda.

By the way, this is a bigger filter than 90915-YZZF2.

So, does this filter do any better than the cheapest aftermarket filter in the auto-parts store? Probably not.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Thai Denso didn't work for me back in the mid 2000's. So YMMV. JAPON Denso with density media ( as used by LEXUS) No hay Problema!

Any details on why you didn't like the Thai YZZ Denso oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back