T6 in Duramax 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it calls for Dexos2 or ACEA C3, but has anyone considered using T6? I use T6 in the 6.6 and would like to carry it across to the 2.8. I have used (and like) M1 ESP, just not the $10/quart price tag. Oil related warranty issues are not a concern. Thoughts?

The warranty would be the only concern here. Have at it!

My Jeep originally called for low-SAPS 5w-30 much like your truck. FCA changed the spec to alleviate some problems, and now dealers are filling the EcoDiesel with T6.

I manage a fleet of vehicles that love to [censored] camshafts. Never once has oil use been raised at the dealer.

With the EcoDiesel, I wonder if the original spec was MPG related...then after expensive warranty problems...they upped the weight?

Originally Posted By: bshort
I manage a fleet of vehicles that love to [censored] camshafts. Never once has oil use been raised at the dealer.

With the EcoDiesel, I wonder if the original spec was MPG related...then after expensive warranty problems...they upped the weight?

I believe you're correct. They also went from low-SAPS to mid-SAPS.

Do you have Pep Boys in your area? I pick up M1 ESP for my daughters GLI there. They run 5qt of ESP and a filter for $33.99 specials from time to time. Watch the flyer.

Originally Posted By: RunFish
Do you have Pep Boys in your area? I pick up M1 ESP for my daughters GLI there. They run 5qt of ESP and a filter for $33.99 specials from time to time. Watch the flyer.

It's 45 minutes away, but at that price, it would be worth the drive. They normally list ESP at 11.99/L.

Run the 5W40 and take an oil sample after. Good bad or indifferent, only way you can tell if you're doing something good or not. In my Ecodiesel switched over to T6 5W40 early on no problem. Back when I was in LS motors we found 40 weight oils had better wear numbers, versus the recommended 5W30.

I worked as a tech at a dealer for 6 years, never was requested to take an engine oil sample once. They asked for service records from people who wanted warranty engine replacement, because it was burning lots of oil or sludged.

Last edited:
I had a '06 VM Motori 2.8 that got 5w40 CJ-4 all the time and did great. The Dmax 2.8 is a repackaged VM 2.8 that GM brought with them when they sold off their share of VM during their financial mess. They even brought along one of the top engineers from VM to oversee the 2.8 transition to the Dmax 2.8 they offer now. One of the new CK-4 oils in 30 or 40 weight would work fine in that engine.

Originally Posted By: bshort
I know it calls for Dexos2 or ACEA C3, but has anyone considered using T6? I use T6 in the 6.6 and would like to carry it across to the 2.8. I have used (and like) M1 ESP, just not the $10/quart price tag. Oil related warranty issues are not a concern. Thoughts?

Several things.
IMO, T6 is not in the same league with ESP.
1. T6 has pretty high SAPS level. It is designed for commercial vehicles that use bit different DPF/SCR system (same idea, but more flexible and allow bit higher SAPS).
2. T6 compare to ESP has high NOACK level (12.4% compare to 5.6%). So CBU is concern here and NOACK with all that SAPS will pollute DPF more.

Basically T6 SAPS level is on par with ACEA A3/B4.
If you still considering 5W40, I would go Valvoline 5W40 MST that I have been using in warm months in BMW (use ESP in winter). It has SAPS of 0.76 (lower side of 5W40 oils) and NOACK below 10%. It has HTHS of 3.7 which is pretty good.
As for FCA, I know they moved it to T6, but my question is: what happens with DPF? Did they extend warranty on DPF considering SAPS and NOACK of T6.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
bshort said:
As for FCA, I know they moved it to T6, but my question is: what happens with DPF? Did they extend warranty on DPF considering SAPS and NOACK of T6.

Why would FCA need to extend the 100k warranty when the 6.7 Cummins uses a similar DPF/SCAR system and uses the same oil?

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Originally Posted By: edyvw
bshort said:

Why would FCA need to extend the 100k warranty when the 6.7 Cummins uses a similar DPF/SCAR system and uses the same oil?

Is it similar DPF/SCR system or same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back