2006 Sentra 1.8S, ATF change, additive questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

My 2006 Sentra 1.8S is clocking 103,000 and planning to do transmission fluid change (not flush) for the first time. I don't know if the previous owner did it before 70,000 when I got the car in 2010.

Currently, the car jerks when it goes from 1st to 2nd and slight jerk when 2nd to 3rd (it's automatic, but just to give a sense of when the jerk occurs). I don't know if this is same as torque converter shudder. I plan to replace ATF with Genuine Nissan Matic type-D fluid. I wonder if I should add Lubeguard red or Lubeguard Platinum during the first ATF change itself?

I do plan to replace more fluid every month if there is no problem, like those jerks getting worse.

How do the folks suggest me to go about with this one?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Just want to make sure that these are compatible with Sentra. Amazon says it does not fit 2006 Sentra.

Last edited:
According to the Lubeguard chart red is the recommended with platinum as a second alternative in that unit (RE4F03A), you can download a copy from their website.
I would do a line off fluid exchange with new filter (if applicable), the issue you are having may or may not be directly related to the transmission it could be an engine performance issue which commonly also effects the operation of the transmission.

@Trav,
They don't have my engine listed. Mine is RE04F03B. The engine ATF fill capacity is different too. The variant A is 9qt, mine is 7 3/8qt.

Is this the chart you are talking about?

Oh, and the filter is a tricky business here. Once you drop the pan, there is one bolt that is tricky to get into the nut. I don't plan to touch it.

Last edited:
Red is recommended for Nissan Matic D. Sometimes jobs are a PITA but IMO that's no reason for not doing it, who knows what is in the pan for muck and also in the filter/screen, that stuff is better out and not mixed in with the new fluid. If you are not doing the filter/screen at least clean the pan inside.

49.gif

Matic-D is nothing special. My Infiniti calls for Matic-D but I'm using MaxLife w/LG Red. The tranny shifts great and the harsh 1-2 shift Nissans are known for is much reduced.

I have a 2006 Sentra 1.8S with 176K on it.It shifts smooth as butter.
The harsh shift from 1ST to 2ND is a built in flaw. It should smooth out after the first shift.
I changed the fluid at 100K with Maxlife syn.
If you do it 3 times ( 1 at each oil change to get a good mix.) you will have replaced 75% of the fluid, good enough.
I used no snake oil additives. Waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back