You a 1/2 ton, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change your rear DIFFERENTIAL fluid.

You will not believe how this oil is overlooked by owners on getting drained and refilled.

Those ring and pinion gears need oil that is not broken down completely, especially when TOWING, heavy stop n go traffic and water crossings (which we all know is a no no) unless you are asking for trouble.

Make sure you add the additive for the limited slip.

80w90
75w140
And so on

It smells terrible but change the fluid. 15,000 severe, 30,000 normal.

But who has a truck and drives normal/ideal. A truck is a workhorse not a show pony.

May have been covered before but I think the synthetic gear oil needs no LS additive? Valvoline Synpower is labeled LS
The project is on the list of to do for the new to me 99 Ford F350, diesel. No emission [censored] or pee tank on BB-barn baby

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leje0306
Yes. Amsoil SVG

X2. Just changed it in my '85 C3500, and going from conventional 85w140 to Severe Gear 75w110 I think I gained 15 horsepower! It may be expensive, but still cheaper than any repairs on an axle.

I changed mine around 80k in my half ton. Which appears to have always been driven like a car. Rear oil wasn't that bad. Since I don't tow I might wait until the oil has 100k on it, as I just don't see it wearing out that quickly. I read up on what to use, and while Amsoil SVG seemed to eek out better than Mobil I decided to just use Mobil, didn't think I'd need better. The way I've been using my truck I won't.

But it was definitely good to change after I got it. Never hurts to change once or twice, and to "know" that it's got good oil.

On my to-do list for the Hoe along with transfer case and front differential . In my trucks I usually do it every couple years.

My truck is so easy, I do it every three years, transfer case and front diff too, although those 2 are a little more difficult.

i do mine about every 50K, i use tractor supply travellers oil, and it's been golden color when drained. no metal.

I do it on a routine basis with my 03 V8 4Runner using Red Line gear oil.

I've looked inside with a fiber optic scope and at 150K it looked like brand new.

3/4 ton-er
smile.gif

What size would my truck be considered? It is a 97 toyota t100 (basically same size as a tundra).

I will be changing the rear diff fluid for the first time (my first not its first) here soon with 75w90 amsoil severe gear.

General Motors half-ton trucks come out of the factory with OEM synthetic gear oil. I changed mine on my previous truck at 50,000 miles-half of those miles were towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer.

To be honest-visually it didn't look bad.

I believe in maintenance-but unlike some on here I DON'T BELIEVE in "over maintenance".

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Change your rear DIFFERENTIAL fluid.

You will not believe how this oil is overlooked by owners on getting drained and refilled.

Those ring and pinion gears need oil that is not broken down completely, especially when TOWING, heavy stop n go traffic and water crossings (which we all know is a no no) unless you are asking for trouble.

Make sure you add the additive for the limited slip.

80w90
75w140
And so on

It smells terrible but change the fluid. 15,000 severe, 30,000 normal.

But who has a truck and drives normal/ideal. A truck is a workhorse not a show pony.

That's way too often dude.

30K with Delvac 1 ... aftermarket cover with drain, fill, and oil level plugs ... easy.
T-case has RL MTL
Front diff Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
What size would my truck be considered? It is a 97 toyota t100 (basically same size as a tundra).

I will be changing the rear diff fluid for the first time (my first not its first) here soon with 75w90 amsoil severe gear.

T110/ Tundra is a half ton. It's one of those things, where people differ in terminology. People in Canada say "half ton", "one ton", etc when describing a truck; in America you say "pickup". Also, we always say "truck", never "car" when referring to them.

First change I would do it at 10-20,000mi to remove the break in debris and every 60,000mi afterwards. Rear wheel drive cars also needs their gear oil changed out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back