Mobil 1 0W40, 10,145 miles, Mercedes M275 V-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Well, the car that I bought as a hobby/occasional use was driven quite a bit over the past year. It's just so nice on a road trip...

I am pleased with the UOA. Since we can embed pictures now, here it is:

Great looking UOA Astro! I'm sure you're pleased! What a fantastic car to take out and enjoy, does this engine use traditional cast iron cylinder liners or is it a plated bore (Nicasil or similar)?

It seems that 0w-40 oils are pretty stout and versatile.

I almost picked this up to run in the Focus but put it back down. Obviously two extremely different vehicles but it seems to perform quite well.

You do a lot of hobby driving!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Great looking UOA Astro! I'm sure you're pleased! What a fantastic car to take out and enjoy, does this engine use traditional cast iron cylinder liners or is it a plated bore (Nicasil or similar)?

It's a plated bore - a silicon/aluminum alloy of about 2.5mm thickness...according to the Mercedes promotional literature that I've read.

The design decisions on this engine were centered on smoothness, quiet operation, power, and light weight...with "reasonable" economy...It really is a wonderfully smooth engine with a sweet sound to it.

I am very pleased with the performance of the Mobil 1 0W40. You can see the history in the photo. I bought the car with 59,000 miles on it, so every oil change has had a UOA. We can all debate additive packages, base stocks, and other oil attributes, but the real measure is how well that mix performs in your engine.

And this oil does well.

So, I plan to keep using it.

The engine in this car is very expensive - Mercedes lists a replacement long block for $75,000 or so, and while the used market isn't terrible, I really don't want to think about ever replacing, or even rebuilding, this engine...

Good metal wear rates, and used oil is still serviceable.
Recommended 12K oci should be doable, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Since we can embed pictures now, here it is:

Is this something new that's different than "Insert a non-floating image" from a host website?

Super run - MB and Mobil have had a long relationship - not everyone knows they made this one for MB:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back