Which part of the pinch weld is the strongest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
They bend because a floor jack lifts in an arc, if you use the supplied scissor jack they don't bend, they also don't bend using a hoist (lift). Using a floor jack is the problem.

This reasoning doesn't really add up to me.

A floor jack has wheels, and as you're jacking up the vehicle the floor jack can roll to compensate for this. A pinch weld would have to be pretty frail from rust or lack of reinforcement to succumb to those forces, it seems to me.

If you're dealing with a super flimsy pinch weld and you have your floor jack on gravel, maybe. In that case, the floor jack wouldn't be able to roll.

If you're jacking on a pinch weld that is the factory-designated life point, and your jack is on any type of finished surface, then that shouldn't be an issue.

After ruining pinch welds on all 4 corners I straightened them back out and purchased a galvanized rubber hockey puck, cut a slot in it and called it a day.

stephen9666If you're jacking on a pinch weld that is the factory-designated life point said:
Proof is in the damage - nearly all I see have the imprint of a floor jack saddle. You do it perfectly, most others don't. Maybe it's just us Kiwi's, some of us are still saving up for a concrete drive.

Originally Posted By: Silk

Proof is in the damage - nearly all I see have the imprint of a floor jack saddle.

That may be more of an issue related to not using a hockey puck, block of wood, etc. between the jack saddle and the pinch weld. I agree that the metal saddle right on the seam isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back