$40 Craigslist Mower Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about kicking my yard service to the curb and was casually keeping an eye out for a mower fairly cheap. Found one a few days ago and contacted the guy about it. Met this afternoon and picked it up. The ad had it listed as non-running, but it looked good in the photos. It has good spark and compression, so my guess is a gummed up carburetor from sitting too long. Will dig into it soon and see what it will take to get it back in service. For $40 I think it was a good deal and it also included the bag.

UFJ5Hy.jpg

cw7fJ6.jpg

burifU.jpg

Nice looking Toro. That's the way to do it! Keep checking CL. If you're really into mulching, keep your eyes peeled for a Toro Super Recycler. The regular recycler like the one you just got aren't bad, but supers are awesome.

The best mower I've owned is a Toro Recycler that I picked up for $25. The deck had major rust and it had been rode hard and put up wet, but it has RWD and the Tecumseh mower on it runs GREAT.

I put about $100 into it on a new OEM carb, new belt, and fresh wheels and it makes mowing my lawn effortless.

I'd love to find a Super Recycler for sale, but the folks in my area know their OPE and don't let stuff go for cheap.

Nice mower, wheels have been weak link for me.Give it a shot of ether first and see if it starts. Also, don't overlook the dreaded flywheel key throwing timing way off.

Tecumsehs do have a tendency to gum up the carburetor fairly easily with today's ethanol gas. They do seem to have a bit better fuel economy in my experience though. Definitely try cleaning the carb and if that doesn't work you can find a new one cheap on ebay.

Get a spray can of carb cleaner. Drain the tank and put in a little fresh fuel and some Berryman's Chem Tool. remove air filter and give the intake a good spray . Pull the cord. If you can keep it running, it may clear itself out. If not, wait a few days and try again. Sometimes the B 12 takes time to work.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Tecumsehs do have a tendency to gum up the carburetor fairly easily with today's ethanol gas. They do seem to have a bit better fuel economy in my experience though. Definitely try cleaning the carb and if that doesn't work you can find a new one cheap on ebay.

Those later float carb Tecumseh's for sure run sweet when everything is 100%

Since Techumseh OPE engines went Kaput around 2008, this mower is probably 8-9yrs/old, but judging from the condition of the wheels, it was barely, if ever used.

**UPDATE**

I removed the carburetor and the tank this morning. The tank had about a cup of 90% water and 10% mystery fuel and the bowl on the carb was full too. Used a can of brake cleaner to flush the tank and carb as well as perform a de-greasing of the external parts of the engine. Surprisingly, no water had made it into the engine and overall, I do not think this mower was used very much simply due to the condition of everything. I had to pick up a new intake manifold to block gasket (it cracked when I removed the manifold) and found it locally for $3.84.

Put it all back together and added some premium gas to the tank. I bet my wife that it would start on the first pull--I lost, it started on the second. It has a very slight miss to it that I expect to taper off over time and if not I will add a tad of carburetor cleaner to the gas. I tested it out and it pulls fine, it even cuts the grass well (need to check the blade). The engine is a Tecumseh LV195E built in 2006 and the first OC (which I will dump after a couple of hours) was with MS5K 10W-40. Chevron Delo 400 LE in 5W-40 or 15W-40 OR QS Defy 10W-40 will be the next one.

I am going to change the air filter and spark plug which will bring my grand total to about $55.00 for a fully functional self-propelled mower. I am very happy because my two teen aged boys are the new yard service and I did not want to invest a lot of money in a mower to have them potentially beat it up. I just need to pick up a string trimmer (Sears has them on sale for $84) and in less than 2 months I will be "in the green" by terminating my yard service. All in all an unusually good Craigslist experience.

Good to hear! If the teenage boys will mow then stick with the used Craigslist mowers until they are also proficient at fixing when the mower doesn't run.

Most people start to respect things once they discover how much work it takes to keep it running in tip top shape.

Toro is a benchmark; their units last forever; we just tuned up our today; 5 years old! I keep everything TORO.

Last edited:
Another thing I've always liked about Tecumseh engines is that they have an oil pump. They don't rely on splash lube with a dipper bolted to the crank. Usually just carb issues were the problem with them. Get that straightened out and it's a good running engine.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: miden851
Toro is a benchmark; their units last forever; we just tuned up our today; 5 years old! I keep everything TORO.

I love Toro equipment. My snowblower is a 1984 Toro 724. It has a newer Briggs OHV engine, but the rest of it is original and works flawless. My 2008 Toro Recycler was bought new, and it also works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice looking Toro. That's the way to do it! Keep checking CL. If you're really into mulching, keep your eyes peeled for a Toro Super Recycler. The regular recycler like the one you just got aren't bad, but supers are awesome.

How do they compare to a Honda Harmony? I have a 2003 Harmony with twin blades and the nexite deck. i love it and it mulches the grass into really fine pieces. I can get a nice super recycler for 150 bucks, I am thinking of getting it if they are that nice.

Super Recycler= best consumer mower on the market

This coming from a guy that used to buy/sell used power equipment and has owned and tested HUNDREDS of mowers.

And $40 is REAL steep for a non-running Tecumseh powered Toro Recycler. I pay scrap value ($5-$10) for them.

You can get non-running Super Recyclers, Snappers, and Honda 217's for under $40.

Great Deal, I bought a self propelled Toro from a coworker that had moved in an appartment, $50 about 7 years ago, still use it and runs good.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
And $40 is REAL steep for a non-running Tecumseh powered Toro Recycler. I pay scrap value ($5-$10) for them. You can get non-running Super Recyclers, Snappers, and Honda 217's for under $40.
Maybe in your part of the world; I do not find those deals in the Houston area. I have a total of $55 in it (including new air filter (pack of 5) and sparkplug), I mowed the yard yesterday and it ran perfectly. No way I could have found a better deal unless it was free. I am totally satisfied.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Super Recycler= best consumer mower on the market

This coming from a guy that used to buy/sell used power equipment and has owned and tested HUNDREDS of mowers.

And $40 is REAL steep for a non-running Tecumseh powered Toro Recycler. I pay scrap value ($5-$10) for them.

You can get non-running Super Recyclers, Snappers, and Honda 217's for under $40.

I guess if he paid $39 for it that would be ok with you? He got a good mower with $55 totally invested, I say he did ok.

BTW- If you could really pick out a good mower, maybe you wouldn't have "owned and tested" hundreds of mowers..........wow, a legend, can you autograph the hood of my John Deere?

Last edited:
I love getting a good deal on something. FWIW I paid full price ($320) for my Snapper FWD 7.25 Briggs mower and really like it. I like FWD better than rear because it seems to be easier to maneuver. I always wondered about newer Toros as I had an old one from the 1970s that had a Tecumseh motor and the engine didn't hold up well (wore out quickly). Good luck with the mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back