Base Oil Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been some discussion on group I, II and III performance and sometimes it is related to cost. It is often assumed that Grp I is the cheapest of the options which is not so. Todays Gulf Coast pricing for nominal 100N stocks are:
Grp I $2.92 / gallon
Grp II $2.42 / gallon
Grp II+ $3.44 / gallon
Grp III $ 4.66 / gallon

If you discount the cost of building the plant, the Group II base oil process is fundamentally more economic than Group I base oil production.

The Group I process starts off with raw Vacuum Gas Oil (VGO) and then removes low VI, unstable aromatics (solvent extract), paraffin wax (it's bad for low temp performance) and tar-like asphaltenes if you're making brightstock. It's very feed dependent but for every 100 units of VGO feed, you might only end up with 65-75 units of refined base oil.

The Group II process, by blasting the VGO with hydrogen over a selective catalyst, gives you more refined base oil but with some loss to gaseous waste. Overall the process is more cost-efficient. The fact that Group II is water white, contains no sulphur and is quite a lot more stable is sort of a freebie.

Base oil markets are now simply reflecting this lower cost advantage in their pricing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back