Cleaning sweet and sour sauce out of carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on Friday my friends and I went to mcdonalds after a night out. My buddy dropped a container of sweet and sour sauce on the floor and stepped on it. A decent amount got on my carpet of my 4Runner. I just noticed it today so it's been soaked in for 2 days. Any tips on getting this out? Money is kind of tight right now so please make product recommendations that are somewhat affordable.

Thanks in advance guys

have you got access to a puppy ?

After applying the puppy until it loses interest, then do Peroxide.

There is oil involved, so you will need some solvent action to dissolve it then use mild detergent. If you own a shop vac slurp the excess saucy stuff out of the carpet, then apply some solvent with a rag, then some detergent solution, then use the vac repeatedly until nearly dry.

The carpet backing should have prevented it from making it through to the padding. I would start with a very damp microfiber towel. Scrub lightly, rotating spots on the towel frequently then let it dry and do it a second time. It might take 3-4 cycles. I find this a better way to go because cleaning solvents or hot steam can remove the native water/stain repellent properties of the carpet. If it's on a carpeted floor mat, just take the things out and hose the heck out of it and let it dry, using a brush if needed, on the stain. I have been able to remove pretty much all organic stains this way for decades.

Hot water with a bit of dishwashing detergent. Clean rag. Shop vac. Lather that mess up and suck it up with the vacuum. Keep at it till the former stain is the cleanest part of the carpet.

I'd rent a machine as said above for $30 or so and clean the whole car up.

Then when you've got some extra cash get some Husky Liners. Best thing I've ever done was get them for my car. I've gotten in with muddy, dusty, wet, grass covered feet (not all at the same time!) and it doesn't bother me. I can then pull the mat out and shake it out and my carpet stays like new.

Not sure I'd start with Hydrogen Peroxide right off the bat, as I'd be a little concerned about the possibility of bleaching.

If I were in your position, I'd start with Meguiar's D101 - All Purpose Cleaner. It's actually made for use in cars, and I've used it in my car's interior multiple times with great success.

2528_lg.jpg

I usually dilute mine to either 1:10, 1:5, or 1:3 in water, depending on how heavy the soiling is, but you could easily use it 1:1 or even straight if you needed to.

If that still didn't do it, then I'd move on to either a steam cleaner, or an extractor.

.. once you get it cleaned out, do like Nick suggested, and get some liners/mats.

Thanks guys. Used some of your tips and with some elbow grease was able to get most of it out. Luckily a big portion was on my rubber mats that I put on top of my carpet mats. Hopefully the smell doesn't linger.

On the cheap, wet the spot and let the car get hot in the sun. Then use a shop wet/dry vac and a garden hose with a pistol/squeeze nozzle. Spray and vacuum at the same time. A plus is if the water in the hose is hot from the sun also. Good bit of sugar in that stuff, warm water soak and a good bit of warm water continuously vacuuming.

Last edited:
First use mineral spirits to break down the oil use it on a rag not into the carpets. Then use a wet dry shop vac and extract whatever is left in the carpets. You can use resolve but most important is to use clear water as a rinse . Do the rinse twice using only a few ounces of water each time. This will clean and remove anything in the carpets. I know it works. Still cleaning carpets 35 yrs and love what I do. jz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back