Why would Castrol Magnatec 5w20 say this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

on the label..."Use Castrol GTX Magnatec 0w20 on GM vehicles that recommend 5w20" ?

They sell a 5w20 but recommend using their 0w20 in GM vehicles that recommend 5w20....and go so far as to say so on the (newer) labels??? Strange

I took a picture of the wording with my cell phone and will try to upload it in the morning.

I assume because most ppl dont realize it can be used instead of 5w20...maybe more profit margin on 0w20?

Read it again and notice you said GM vehicles..id be curious to know too..strange..

Last edited:
Does the 5w-20 have a dexos approval? I wonder if it was a business decision regarding licensing.

I have received this recommendation from both Shell and Mobil regarding their 0W-20 products. When questioning the applicability of both the 5W and 0W products both companies have suggested to use their 0W-20 over the 5W-20.

My question was driven by the recommendation from Honda to use 5W-20 in a CRV and Toyota specifying 0W-20 in a Camry. I wanted to purchase and stock only one product so I wrote to a few companies to get their input.

I wanted to show a picture of this but can't upload it without help from my kids who are away at school.

The exact words are ..."Use Castrol GTX Magnatec 0w20 on GM vehicles that recommend 5w20"

When I look at the PDS I notice the 5w20 has a 9.1 viscosity Cst at 100*C while the 0w20 has an 8.6.....I'm wondering if this has something to do with it? I just find it strange that they make a 5w20 but go out of their way to recommend their 0w20 for GM vehicles that recommend 5w20.

Almost no GM vehicles recommend 5w20 is what's odd. 10w30/5w30 a while back, and they've gone to 0w20 lately. The only 5w20-requiring GMs I can think of would be rebadged Toyotas - the Vibe.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Almost no GM vehicles recommend 5w20 is what's odd. 10w30/5w30 a while back, and they've gone to 0w20 lately. The only 5w20-requiring GMs I can think of would be rebadged Toyotas - the Vibe.

My two cents is when 0W-20 is recommend over 5W-20, it is to insure a full synthetic oil is used than a possible conventional or blend 5W-20 can come in.

I've been mixing Magnatec 0W20 & 5W20 from the AZ clearance sales of late '16, the MGM 4.6 seems to like them both OK, not planning on going past 5K or so on it, though.

Originally Posted By: TmanP

My 2017 Canyon 2.5 specifies 5w20. Yet the dealer will put in 0w20 for their fill. I think GM released a TB stating certain models, mine included I think, that were specd for 5w20 were backwards compatible with 0w20.

Here at Honda, the factory 5W20 is semi synthetic, the 0W20 is full synthetic. The 0W20 is better oil, and you always want as thin an oil at startup as possible. I would recommend using 0W20 over the 5W20.

I would not be surprised if all manufacturers went this way. We have so many problems with the 5W20 cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back