2016 Silverado 5.3L PUP @ 9000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why

This sample saw service during the fall and winter and did see a lot of short tripping and morning idling to warm it up. Probably 30/70 highway/city driving. The only thing that bothers me is the silicon levels...not surprised about the high iron and copper as it is only it's first oil change after the factory fill. OLM was at 7% when I drained it, and was running a Fram Ultra filter. On a positive note, oil consumption was 0...it was still at the upper mark where it started 9000 miles ago.

I know the motor is too young to get worked up over this report, but since I have always bern a short OCI guy, I wanted to get a warm and fuzzy about what the OLM was telling me.

Thoughts appreciated!

Typical for a new engine, and a reason why a lot of people will tell you to hold off on a UOA until the engine has had the oil changed a few times. Having said that an early UOA can tell you if you have fuel or coolant finding its way into the oil, which is not the case here. If the vehicle has a copper oil cooler, copper numbers can be high for very long time. Check your air filter, and all plumbing related to it just to be safe. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Your oil sample looks pretty similar to my 2014 Silverado that has about 55,000 miles on it. I normally use Amsoil 0W20 but Pennzoil sent me free oil so I'm trying their stuff out.

Originally Posted By: delasueno
Your oil sample looks pretty similar to my 2014 Silverado that has about 55,000 miles on it. I normally use Amsoil 0W20 but Pennzoil sent me free oil so I'm trying their stuff out.

How's the Pennzoil doing in your engine?

OP - UOA looks great, just check your air filter seal - especially if you live close to the beach.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
OP - UOA looks great, just check your air filter seal - especially if you live close to the beach.

Checked all the air connections, all tight and the filter seal is good.

I wonder if it is due to residual casting sand or gasket sealants. I read an article that stated that if it is a dirt ingestion problem, there is usually a corresponding elevated level of aluminum because silica and alumina are the primary components of "dirt".

I feel comfortable after this UOA to let the OLM tick down to zero. Will probably run one more UOA on the next oil change to verify wear metals and contaminants drop.

For years now, GM engines have shown higher levels of metals. However this doesn't seem to reduce the life of GM engines.

Originally Posted By: tig1
For years now, GM engines have shown higher levels of metals. However this doesn't seem to reduce the life of GM engines.
You're right, uoas always have high metals. Then you see trucks like my buddies running around with 310,000 and another guy I know that sold his with 400,000.

Why,
If you are concerned about the high metals there is a time-proven trick to see if there is something of concern going on or just normal wear. I bought an 06 Odyssey with 135k that the first UOA showed high metals on it (iron @ 30+ was the highest concern). I did an oil change as soon as I got it, and put barely 3k on PP (which borders on blasphemy for such a short OCI), dumped that with no UOA, then ran another 7k on another PP OCI. Wear metals on the 7k sample all dropped significantly, and actually came in under the universal averages at a higher mileage than the universals.

So, if you want to swap quick and then go back to your normal oil, use a conventional with good add pack (PYB) and go 1,000 or 1,500 miles and drain it, or use PP or QSUD for a 2,500-3k OCI, just to help flush any residuals out.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Why,
If you are concerned about the high metals there is a time-proven trick to see if there is something of concern going on or just normal wear. I bought an 06 Odyssey with 135k that the first UOA showed high metals on it (iron @ 30+ was the highest concern). I did an oil change as soon as I got it, and put barely 3k on PP (which borders on blasphemy for such a short OCI), dumped that with no UOA, then ran another 7k on another PP OCI. Wear metals on the 7k sample all dropped significantly, and actually came in under the universal averages at a higher mileage than the universals.

So, if you want to swap quick and then go back to your normal oil, use a conventional with good add pack (PYB) and go 1,000 or 1,500 miles and drain it, or use PP or QSUD for a 2,500-3k OCI, just to help flush any residuals out.

Thanks for the idea! Not concerned enough to try it, but will keep this suggestion filed away for possible use in the future.

Yep - BIL got 400k out of his 5.3L on bulk Mobil Super 5w30 - he wouldn't know an UOA from a credit report ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yep - BIL got 400k out of his 5.3L on bulk Mobil Super 5w30 - he wouldn't know an UOA from a credit report ...

A friend sold his 99 Chevy Silverado 5.3 with about 350K and the engine still ran great when sold. Now the trans was a different story. His 20K OCIs amazed all of us. Oil used. M1 5-30. Like your BIL, he didn't know there is such a thing as a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back