PP 5/30 Highlander 3.3L 9,462

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this oil test with the TBN because I normally don't put so many miles between OC's. Blackstone said "extra iron is mostly from the longer run." I tried searching here for any commentary on TBN but didn't find any. I'm not trying to stretch the OCI but trying to understand reasonable choices. Thanks

OIL PP 5W30
MILES IN USE 9.5k
MILES 86.6k
SAMPLE TAKEN 3/29/17

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 15
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 53
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 2
SILICON 17
SODIUM 12
CALCIUM 2227
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 632
ZINC 742
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 405
SUS VIS 210ºF 58.5
cSt @ 100ºC 9.79
ANTIFREEZE 0
FUEL TBN 2.1

LOL - 15 ppm FE = extra iron. Your 9k run looks just fine, especially for a winter run up north - thanks for the post.

Good metal wear rates and the used oil probably still has some life left.
blush.gif

IIRC, TBN > 1 means the oil is still good.

I usually do about 10K miles with good synthetic and good oil filter.
I owned the same engine except in a Sienna body with more than 242K miles now.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
IIRC, TBN > 1 means the oil is still good.

I usually do about 10K miles with good synthetic and good oil filter.
I owned the same engine except in a Sienna body with more than 242K miles now.

Not arguing with you but, I thought that a TBN of 2.0 or less is used up(too acidic) especially in an aluminum block.

Looks really good. Easy miles,oil is starting to thin and tbn is down to 2.....I think 10,000 max oci if it's easy driving. 02

Mostly highway miles should be ok for 10K from the looks of the UOA. Pretty nice result. I have the exact same car (same year too) except called a Kluger here in Australia. My kms are all city. Might have to do a UOA one say to see what city mileage is like compared to your great highway results.

Not sure what FZI is on about saying that oil is "starting to thin" as PP is around 10cSt..... 9.79 is very close to that. http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/pennzplatinum.htm if that's the PP the OP is using.

Last edited:
I would speculate this PP 5W30 typically shears down to KV@100*C of 9.0-9.5 cSt between 2-5K miles ......
and subsequently thicken to current KV@100*C of 9.79 cSt.
By 10-12K miles, it could have thickened to virgin KV@100*C of 10.x ish cSt. JMHO
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back