Oil leaked out /Honda service dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the keyboard jockeys. "minimum 200k warranty", "document with UOA"
crackmeup2.gif

If the engine is not knocking, smoking or showing any other obvious signs of internal damage, chances are the dealer will offer few free oil changes.

I would, however, get it documented in their system and have them print a copy for my own records, clearly stating the oil filter gasket malfunctioned shortly after the service.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
Ok so I called the dealer, they said the oil filter gasket broke apart or separated. He said did not find any metal shavings in the oil,

The dealer has liability insurance for this type of thing. But they will try to weasel out of anything they can. Don't accept it back if it's making any strange noises when you start it back up. Instead of dealing with the service advisor deal with the service manager on this one since this is now an issue. An important one at that. Engines aren't cheap and bad ones send many cars to the scrap yard.

You can call Honda corporate, their main customer service number so they have a record of this incident as well. That way if there's an issue down the road you can use this as leverage to get things done. Since the dealer wants to stay in their good graces.

Sounds good to me, I will definitely test drive it and check for any noises before leaving the dealer.

Last edited:
I would start it, pop the hood and listen to the engine before moving or driving the car. And don't leave without paperwork that spells everything out about what happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Dr_Who
and instead of the tech working on the car he is writing up a list of other things that need to be done after the shop owner test drove it?!?!? The tech starts going down the list tires, shocks/mounts, clutch, and I stop him

Then he starts telling me about how my car is something that a lot of people would like to buy since it is in generally excellent condition (I didn't bring the car in to sell it) Owner shows up and begins to interrogate me about the low mileage..."I don't understand why this car has such low mileage" why is that?

What a WEIRD experience, possibly the strangest one I have ever had with a shop in my 32 years of car ownership.

Easy, they were looking for the big score. Instead of making $200 on a wheel bearing they were looking to make thousands off of you if possible. See if you would do a long laundry list of items OR scare you into selling them your car for cheap so they could make thousands that way. By buying it off of you for a song then selling it. Pretty easy to see what that was all about from a distance.

Yes, SCAM artists! There is a reason why the industry has such a terrible reputation.

The odd thing is that I don't come across as wet behind the ears....indeed I come in as informed and
also hinted that I have done some very basic work on my car in the past.

In all likelihood it's probably going to be fine. As long as it was caught quickly and shut down that little motor should keep running like a sewing machine.

Let me give you an example that actually happened to me today- I was out pressure washing the road dirt and shop dust off of a customer's 67 Cougar when the pressure washers engine started to stutter, then bog. You could tell it was laboring quite heavily. Then before I could do anything it died. Wouldn't pull over and was leaking oil pretty bad. Drug it in to the shop and put it on the bench. No holes anywhere but oil coming out from under the shroud. Pulled the should and flywheel to find the crank seal had popped out. By that time it had cooled off enough to start turning over. I squirted some oil on it and worked until it spun free. Put a little Right Stuff on the seal and reassembled and filled with oil... Drug it back out, hooked it up to water and gave it a pull. Fired right up and ran fine. You'd never know.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Didn't we just get done with a thread like this ? Somebody's Subaru drove off the lot with no oil plug ?

I don't recall that thread. Maybe that was another car forum or a Subaru site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back