2016 Ford Focus SE 2.0L - Best brand for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a brand new 2016 Ford Focus SE 2.0L - Got it for a good deal and want to keep her running a long time. I just gave up a Jetta I had for almost 250K and it still runs great... but since this is a new era with all new "chemicals" - Does my cars engine work better with a specific oil brand out side of its weight?

This car take 5w-20 and I have always used Liqui Moly in my VW an never had issues.

I am also a fan of Castrol. However, its not what I am a fan of... what works best for my engine long term?

Thanks!

welcome2.gif

Any name brand 5w20 will be fine, so nothing wrong with the Castrol you love
smile.gif

I ran Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-20 in my 08 Focus and now my 10 Fusion. Both vehicles ran great with it. Used oil analysis wear numbers on the Focus were great. I never bothered doing one on the Fusion.

Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum should serve your Ford well. I hope it doesn't have the power shift transmission, good luck if it does. May I ask what engine your Jetta had? Thats quite a few miles!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum should serve your Ford well. I hope it doesn't have the power shift transmission, good luck if it does. May I ask what engine your Jetta had? Thats quite a few miles!

Thanks for the info! My VW was a 2.0L Gasoline Automatic... no joke... still running ok. I religiously changed the oil and used Ceratec every 15,000 - I wonder if that had something to do with it? Don't know.

I hope it doesn't have the power shift transmission

How do I find out - I read that the power shift transmission is a 6 speed tranny... Mine is a 5 speed automatic... so I am not sure if it has it or not. How can I tell for sure? I guess I can call the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Twiggs462

Mine is a 5 speed automatic... so I am not sure if it has it or not.

Sorry, it's the 6-speed PowerShift dual-clutch automatic. You can always check your Monroney sticker if you have it.

There was no 5-speed automatic offered in a 2016 Ford Focus.

Thanks for the info! My VW was a 2.0L Gasoline Automatic... no joke... still running ok. I religiously changed the oil and used Ceratec every 15,000 - I wonder if that had something to do with it? Don't know.

The 2.slow or 2.0 turbo? Either way thats a great run!

I hope it doesn't have the power shift transmission

How do I find out - I read that the power shift transmission is a 6 speed tranny... Mine is a 5 speed automatic... so I am not sure if it has it or not. How can I tell for sure? I guess I can call the dealer.

I am pretty sure Ford doesn't have a 5 speed auto in their current Focus. Best of luck with that transmission, if I remember correctly a class action was recently won on the power shift transmissions. They have had serious issues since the beginning of production. Hopefully you will be the lucky one that has no issues.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
I believe Magnatec is a semi-syn at least here in the U.S

Says full synthetic on the bottles I have.

The 2.slow or 2.0 turbo? Either way thats a great run!

2.slow... I loved it. Check it out here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142333439651?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Not suggesting to buy! But if ya wanted to see her... still in great condition for the mileage!

I have used M1 0-20AFE for years in my two Duratech engines with 10K OCIs. Both still perform very well with no signs of engine wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: askani79705
Originally Posted By: madeej11
I believe Magnatec is a semi-syn at least here in the U.S

Says full synthetic on the bottles I have.

0w-20 and 5w-20 are full syns; 5w-30 is a blend.

The trans issues were with earlier models. I believe as of 2015 the issues were fixed. Some of the complaints were just people being stupid an not realizing that they weren't driving a conventional automatic. Just like people whine about CVT's being too noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back